Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite42 View Post
Assuming you're qualified, go up in your RV at altitude and replicate base to final turns at lower and lower airspeed and you'll see how hard you have to work and how out of whack you really have to be to produce a stall/spin/spiral departure during a normal turn. Do you actually have spin experience? Many pilots who lack comfort level and experience in this area are often overly concerned about stalling and operating near their perceived "edge of the flight envelope". This causes them to fly with excessive speed in the pattern and on final. Your mind would have to be fatally absent or distracted to allow yourself to get anywhere near this condition even at moderate bank angles in the pattern. It's nothing to fear. The fact that you're thinking about energy management each time you make this turn means you're engaged. But as others have mentioned, there is no need for excess energy. Speed is not life. Proper energy management and paying attention is life.
I have done exactly this, tested the envelope all the way. I agree with you. If you want to land at our airpark, tall trees at both ends, 2000' runway, you better not be carrying extra speed. However, I see the point being made. There has been more than one stall/spin accident with RV's, low, slow, heavy, high DA, and fatal. I do carry extra speed when I have those conditions as I don't fly regularly in that environment.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:17 PM

Well Luddite42 , for the record I do feel qualified. Been in , around or piloting since childhood and now 57. No problem with turns close to the ground or being inverted as far as that goes. The nice fellow I watched crater was a show pilot so I think he was "qualified" as well. And I never said I carried excess speed in landing phase.In my humble opinion cross , down , and base are more about traffic than landing technique.One can micro manage speeds in those legs and argue about it all day. Also I had a second Competitive aerobatic pilot friend kill himself frost flying in a champ because he stalled close to the ground. Hence my caution. Alot of "experts" screw up. Constant speed prop , flaps ,and even flying sideways manages all I need to customize things on final for whatever type of landing that is required.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:07 PM

I realize that I appear to have contradicted my earlier statement about low level turning but I really meant when slow and heavy if it is not really necessary. If it is windy ,gusty, hot and one is being blown off course it could be conceivable that a person just tightens his/her turn while already on the edge. For me , why go there in the first place. I have never had my circuit speeds ever effect the landing. Flown downwind at my own strip at 170kts. Still landed just fine. That's all I have to say on it. (other than you shouldn't do that especially while rolling on each turn)