VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-31-2017, 09:06 PM

Default N377JT

I think I'm in the 90% there and 90% to go stage. Here is access to my build pictures... https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0W5oqs3qGwQXLs Need all of the critique I can get. I'm using two G3X touch screens, A GTN750, and a VPX pro. Remote mounted 2nd radio and transponder. Engine is a Superior IO400 and prop is a 3 blade MT. I'm working on fiberglassing in the tips on the elevator and rudder now. Let me know what you think...

Jamie
Old 10-31-2017, 11:07 PM

Looks real nice Jamie. We're at about the same point (the I hate fiberglass stage). I started with the dual G3X and stayed with it instead of moving to the "touch" model. Looks as though you have an 'army' working on it so you should be done and flying soon. Keep up the good work.
No smake - Yay!
Sanding fiberglass - Boo!
paid 'til 10-18
Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 AM

Default Not quite....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Turner View Post
I think I'm in the 90% there and 90% to go stage. Let me know what you think...
Jamie
Jamie,
Not quite. When you get it flying, that's the REAL 90% done, 90% to go stage...trust me
Looks good so far. My 2 cents after 25 years, 2 RV's and an HR2, keep it simple, cheap and light.

The lighter they are, the better they fly...
And...the less stuff to break, the happier you (and your wallet) will be.
V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 11-02-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:06 PM

You are about where I was 2 years ago. I built almost every weekend and vacation day available. First flight was 27 January this year and I still have a large list of things to get done, as Smoky eluded.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 11-02-2017, 04:10 PM

Default Not sure why the 750

With 2 G3X screens you will not likely need the big screen on the 750; I have the 650 feeding the G3X and really never need to look at the GTN. Save some $...
Old 11-02-2017, 04:29 PM

Smile I kinda like the fiberglass part of it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCardinal View Post
Looks real nice Jamie. We're at about the same point (the I hate fiberglass stage). I started with the dual G3X and stayed with it instead of moving to the "touch" model. Looks as though you have an 'army' working on it so you should be done and flying soon. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Carl, The fiberglassing really isnt that bad. Yesterday, I got both horizontal stabilizer tips and the vertical stab glassed in. Today I put a bunch of epoxy and 410 fairing filler on it. I'll sand it out tomorrow and see how it looks. As for the "army" of people working on it, that was just one day when my brother and a friend helped me. 99% of the time its me, myself, and I.

Last edited by J_Turner : 11-02-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
Jamie,
Not quite. When you get it flying, that's the REAL 90% done, 90% to go stage...trust me
Looks good so far. My 2 cents after 25 years, 2 RV's and an HR2, keep it simple, cheap and light.

The lighter they are, the better they fly...
And...the less stuff to break, the happier you (and your wallet) will be.
V/R
Smokey
You're probably right!

As for the weight, I'm pretty much committed to what I have now as far as the engine, prop and such.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
You are about where I was 2 years ago. I built almost every weekend and vacation day available. First flight was 27 January this year and I still have a large list of things to get done, as Smoky eluded.
I can usually spend 3-4 hours a day on it, quite a bit more sometimes. I really hope I can fly it this coming spring but, we'll see what happens. No need to rush anything at this point of the build.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:38 PM

Default Fun with fiberglass

Today I got the Vertical and horizontal stabilizer tips sanded down. Need to fill some pin holes or I just may let the painter do it. Also got the bottom of the rudder glued and riveted on. Hopefully next week I can finish the rudder and elevator tips and get everything primed.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Default Update

I didn't get everything in primer this week but came close. I got everything sanded down on the elevators, horiz. stab, rudder and vertical stab. Sprayed some primer on the right stab and elevator first just to see what it looked like.... Needed a little more filler and some glazing putty. Sanded it down and shot some more primer on it. Looked pretty good. Pictures on my icloud dated 11-10-17. Next week I'll try to get the rest of the tips in primer.