VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-05-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Lower firewall

I replaced the lower firewall and it's not that hard to do. If you drill out the rivets along the forward bottom of the fuselage side skin you can then roll it back and add the gusset shown in post #17. After you have removed the engine & mount, it all comes apart pretty fast. If the cowl cheek extensions remain on you will have a hard time riveting the firewall side flanges where they overlap. I think there are two rivets there. Maybe some other type of fastener (?). As I recall, the stainless steel lower firewall only cost about $26. The stock part fit very well and only required slight tweaking to fit with my existing upper f/w. Thin stainless is more forgiving then aluminum. Take everything out of the inside of the fuselage so you can put down some plywood and padding for lying down while working, bucking rivets, etc.

Sounds daunting but its not. In the process of reinstalling the engine I did a better job with all the accessory wires compared the first time around on the initial build a plus! Go for it.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPSYNIPPER View Post
I have just noticed this wrinkle in my firewall, not exactly sure when it happened, but two possible occasions come to mind.
Gutted
Has anyone replaced just the bottom 1/3 of the firewall? If I replace the whole firewall it will mean a respray, as the a/c is metallic painted, and blending it in won't be an option.
I am considering replacing the lower 1/3, and making the joint on the firewall.
Any tips/tricks/suggestions very gratefully received.
Neil
Are you doing it for cosmetic reasons? If so, that's your call. But the firewall is non-structural, according to Van's staff. If you can seal the cracks with something like
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/2...nt_2000+_cg1.p
there should be no functional or safety issues.

Charlie
Old 12-06-2017, 05:13 AM

Yes, having spoken with Vans builder help desk they did confirm that is considered non-structural.....but if it is being bent it must be a load path.
I am more convinced having studied photos just now that a brace bar across the top must help stop the flexing of the firewall.
It would be for cosmetic reasons I suppose, but also a/c value when I come to sell it.
Neil

Last edited by TIPSYNIPPER : 12-06-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:31 AM

When Steve built the a/c he did not anticipate engine removal with regard to the wiring loom to the engine. Thermocouples I can't cut, but putting a plug in-line would ease this and future engine removals. Can anyone suggest a good plug/socket system for the loom?
Neil
Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 AM

Default RV8 gusset ?

Thanks to all for this heads up, my RV4 side skins are fitted but NOT riveted. So perfect timing to add the gusset in the pic. My vertical aluminum angle has two rivets in the WELDED steel corner fitting. There is no gap to flex the firewall under loads ? That said, does anyone have specs on the RV8 gusset and I will fab and install.
Clinton, IN
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Firewall wrinkle

Hi Larry. I can't post pics, but pm me and I can email the 7 drawings.
The more I've crawled around mine, it's apparent that the flex is in the vertical 3/4" angles, since the undercarriage loads go up them to the top mount. The side skin doesn't take the load because it's not structurally supported between the two mounts; it's only held there by the 'non structural' firewall. The gusset stiffens it all up. I've seen pics with a gusset top and bottom. The 7 drawing shows top and bottom.
Vic