Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 03:28 PM

Just so no one gets the idea that an RV-12 is difficult to slow down and land.....

It is not. It is the easiest to fly airplane I have ever flown.

Flying downwind at 90 - 100 kts to fit in with faster traffic is not a problem.

If power is pulled to idle when abeam the numbers, it is not challenging to be at 50Kts rounding out into the flare after a pretty normal sized pattern (note I didn't say standard sized pattern because the standard now adays seems to be what would be appropriate for a private jet).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 10-16-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Just so no one gets the idea that an RV-12 is difficult to slow down and land.....

It is not. It is the easiest to fly airplane I have ever flown.

Flying downwind at 90 - 100 kts to fit in with faster traffic is not a problem.

If power is pulled to idle when abeam the numbers, it is not challenging to be at 50Kts rounding out into the flare after a pretty normal sized pattern (note I didn't say standard sized pattern because the standard now adays seems to be what would be appropriate for a private jet).
Absolutely true. I think we're just discussing the finer points of perfecting the pattern and landing, not big issues.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 10-16-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmillhouse View Post
What's behind you does not matter. Plan you airspeed and altitude for your target 5-10 miles out since it does not like to slow down quickly. Use 800' pattern above runway and not 1000'. About 75 at numbers on down wind, pull all power, full flaps, 65 to base, 60 turning final, stabilize then at 55 knots on final unless you want to float and use lots of runway. I use a close pattern and dead stick all the way 95% of the time. If too high slip aggressively but try to keep it around 60, if short due to greater head wind add a little power to flatten descent and let speed increase slightly until you've made the runway.
Thanks, and the above sounds like good advice.

Except the bolded above.

Pattern altitudes are published in the A/FD and can also be brought up on most EFB software. For safety and consistency, those published altitudes should really be adhered to.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Felt like my name was Charlie, and they'd just raised the fare by a nickel.
I do wonder in this day and age how many people will actually get that reference!
RV-12 #120991
Empennage: Started
N62EP Reserved
2017 Donation Paid
Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaslick View Post
I do wonder in this day and age how many people will actually get that reference!
In my defense, I was a little kid at day camp when the counselors taught us that song.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 PM

DaleB: Well I sure got it...LOL, too. I'll fix you a sandwich, OK? Just tell me where to bring it and keep the window open.

Pattern altitude: Lots of tower fields in my corner. They expect you to follow the published procedure. Imagine that.

Thanks all for responding. I wanted to see how the answers ranged. I did...pretty wide.

One contrarian point of view to make, albeit respectfully. I will always believe that what's behind you does matter, especially if it's chewing on your personal aluminum.
Emp/TC done; Wings done; Fuse kit done

"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." --Abba Eban
Paid up until Aug 2018
Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 PM

Scott,

I agree itís not hard to fly. Itís just a lot slicker airframe than the legacy Pipers and Cessnas most of us are used to. I have to shift gears mentally when I get into the 12 and remind myself to think farther ahead and not expect small power reductions to impact speed or sink rate much unlike my Cherokee where chopping the power and dropping full flaps on short final will bring me from high and hot to landing with power in no time. The RV forces me to be a better pilot.

Rich
Old 10-17-2017, 06:51 AM

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaslick View Post
add one more to that tally!
http://n76012.blogspot.com
Dues paid through 6-2018
Old 10-17-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Scott,

I agree it’s not hard to fly. It’s just a lot slicker airframe than the legacy Pipers and Cessnas most of us are used to. I have to shift gears mentally when I get into the 12 and remind myself to think farther ahead and not expect small power reductions to impact speed or sink rate much unlike my Cherokee where chopping the power and dropping full flaps on short final will bring me from high and hot to landing with power in no time. The RV forces me to be a better pilot.

Rich
I think if I was jumping into the RV12 from either of my prior planes, a Grumman Tiger followed by a Cirrus SR22, I think my impressions would have been very different.

But after 500 hours or so in my Sky Arrow, I'm just calibrated a bit differently. No doubt I could adjust.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOverZero View Post
DaleB:
Pattern altitude: Lots of tower fields in my corner. They expect you to follow the published procedure. Imagine that.
One contrarian point of view to make, albeit respectfully. I will always believe that what's behind you does matter, especially if it's chewing on your personal aluminum.
Just saw this and thought I should clarify my opinion.

First, I agree, yes you must follow pattern altitudes at towered airports. Published altitudes typically range from 800-1000' above runway on non-towered airports. Some probably need 1000' because of local terrain and obstructions especially for planes with a high wing loading and pattern speed. I like a power off close pattern just in case of loss of power. I don't do cross country traffic patterns. I have found that for my 12 planning to descend to 800' above runway abeam the numbers on down wind when I pull the power is a perfect setup for a stabilized approach on the numbers. At 1000' you must aggressively slip or land long. See how many ultralights or Cubs fly a 1000' pattern above a non-towered airport. The 12 is more similar to them for landing than high wing loading planes.

On what's behind you. I was too casual with that statement but I'm sorry I will never speed up and be rushed by heavy iron behind me. I will give way and circle to allow them to land before me but once I'm turning base and final it is my airport and someone blasting in for a straight in final without an earlier radio call will have to wait for me. I will expedite my landing and make the first turn off (that they probably can not do) and continually announce my position for them but I will not speed up and disrupt my approach because someone is burning more fuel than I am.
RV-12 #120515, 319RV over 200 hours.
1st flight 12/08/15, flew SNF, Oshkosh, Triple Tree & SERFI in year 1!
RV-9A, 536 hours, sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold