- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
Tom,
I'm with you on this. I took my wheel pants off and put on a couple of hubcaps. When I decide to go on a 400+ mile trip, I'll put them back on but for all the local stuff, those huge puppies are staying off. Some may disagree, but Im not seeing a lot of difference between hubcaps and wheels pants. There is no doubt the pressure recovery wheel pants are more efficient, but not as much as you would think. Especially for local stuff.
Hey Craig, Where did you buy your nose wheel hub caps? I think I may give them a try myself.
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 11-27-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk View Post
I removed my wheel pants over a year ago just to be able to look for a nose gear crack prior to each flight (and after) My RV 12 was one of the first ten built (2009) and now has close to 900 hours of landings.

I flew from North Texas to Norman Oklahoma yesterday and back. After returning I found a crack exactly where the lower circle is on SB 16-05-23. It was NOT there when I left Norman. I have always used virtually full-stall landing techniques and never on unimproved strips.

I was debating if it was a function of poor landing technique, hours or just poor design. Still don't know for sure of course but my greatest fear was ripping off my prop so I was anal about checking it. That part worked out.

Keep on eye on yours.
And I’m going to go down a bumpy road here, but “full stall” may not be best practice in the -12 (or any other A Van’s model). I try to land on the mains with enough speed to keep the nosewheel off the ground and let the nose settle as airspeed decreases thru “stall” speed. I rely on AOA to start the initial beeps as the mains settle in and keep steady backpressure on the stick. Enough to keep the nose flying until it runs out. More of a softfield technique.

I am fairly consistent aside from strong xwinds when I get all 3 down in short order for directional control and stronger braking.

415 hours when we pulled the original nosefork off and replaced with the new version. No signs of any cracks. Replacement was purely preemptive.

RV-12 #328
At 260 Hrs on the Hobbs

http://unicom12.blogspot.com/
Click on above for build site
Old 11-28-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALEWIS View Post
And I’m going to go down a bumpy road here, but “full stall” may not be best practice in the -12 (or any other A Van’s model). I try to land on the mains with enough speed to keep the nosewheel off the ground and let the nose settle as airspeed decreases thru “stall” speed. I rely on AOA to start the initial beeps as the mains settle in and keep steady backpressure on the stick. Enough to keep the nose flying until it runs out. More of a softfield technique.

I am fairly consistent aside from strong xwinds when I get all 3 down in short order for directional control and stronger braking.

415 hours when we pulled the original nosefork off and replaced with the new version. No signs of any cracks. Replacement was purely preemptive.
Yeahhh...would never presume to tell another pilot how to land his aircraft. Simply trying to say cracks may be in everyone's future regardless of how they land. I'm sure there will be more postings of cracked forks. Hopefully, everyone is paying close attention or taking preemptive action as you did.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:20 AM

Isn't piece of mind worth 300+ dollars to protect a huge investment? I had to ask. The RV 12 is such a great machine and it is possible that a hard landing is in your future. Even though it is a lot of money, I couldn't stand worrying about a fork failure every time I flew. Just food for thought.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larco View Post
Isn't piece of mind worth 300+ dollars to protect a huge investment? I had to ask. The RV 12 is such a great machine and it is possible that a hard landing is in your future. Even though it is a lot of money, I couldn't stand worrying about a fork failure every time I flew. Just food for thought.
For me it is, I have the new fork in stock now.
Retired US Army Officer
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....X&project=1903
Old 12-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy2110 View Post
I could name several AD's where only a couple planes in the fleet showed a specific problem. That's how it works in the certificated world. We fix them all. Making a statement that most are OK negates the investigation to some extent.

IMO it really doesn't matter if no one saw the problem if it's my airplane that breaks. I want to know why.
This problem is no different than putting different gear boxes in Cessna AC like the 182 180 and such due to there use not intended in the original AC.
They were added by those who needed them for the rough use. I also agree with Scott about ADs everything doesn't get one much depends upon safety of flight and what the cause of falure was. Boyd.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXflyer View Post
This problem is no different than putting different gear boxes in Cessna AC like the 182 180 and such due to there use not intended in the original AC.
They were added by those who needed them for the rough use. I also agree with Scott about ADs everything doesn't get one much depends upon safety of flight and what the cause of falure was. Boyd.
It appears the original fork is failing under normal use. You can’t buy the old fork any longer AFAIK. So no. It’s not the same.
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.