Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-27-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Ron, I’m with you on pitot heat. I once had my Cherokee pitot tube ice over in the soup. It was a good lesson in pitch and power flying the few minutes it took to melt the ice once I turned on the pitot heat. I should have had it on based on the temperature, but as they say: experience is what you get right after you needed it!
I completely agree; glad you made it through that lesson!

One of the nice features of the Garmin pitot is that (if you buy the regulated heated one), it actually provides an annunciation on the G3X if temp is below 45ºF and either the power to the pitot isn’t on or the temperature of the probe is below ambient. I thought this was nice way to hopefully minimize future “experiences”.

- RV10, N1530G (reserved). Empennage in progress.
- RV12, N975G, Flying
Old 11-27-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
With a modern EFIS, the need for pitot heat may be critical - some brands of EFIS may lose their horizon reference with a blocked pitot.
That’s interesting Bob. I’m happy to report that the G3X shows the ADHARS with it disconnected. I’m not sure about blocked as of yet, but I’ll save that for a future “experience”. ha.

- RV12, N975G, Flying
Old 12-25-2017, 09:53 AM

I am considering working towards an IFR rating. My 12's EOL specifically allows for night or instrument flight if properly equipped in accordance with 14 CFR 91.205. I have the Dynon Skyview. What would I need to do to get "properly equipped?
Old 12-25-2017, 12:18 PM

Depends. You’ll need a VOR to shoot VOR and Localizer approaches, and a glide slope receiver for practice ILS approaches. If you are flying under the hood not on an IFRflight plan you don’t need a pitot static check, but if you want to fly on an IFR flight plan legally you will need one. At least the installed Dynon should be good for GPS approaches.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
I completely agree; glad you made it through that lesson!

One of the nice features of the Garmin pitot is that (if you buy the regulated heated one), it actually provides an annunciation on the G3X if temp is below 45ºF and either the power to the pitot isn’t on or the temperature of the probe is below ambient. I thought this was nice way to hopefully minimize future “experiences”.
That's pretty cool. I would assume you could do that with the Dynon but I'd have to look into it.
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.

Last edited by waterboy2110 : 12-25-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-25-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Depends. You’ll need a VOR to shoot VOR and Localizer approaches, and a glide slope receiver for practice ILS approaches. If you are flying under the hood not on an IFRflight plan you don’t need a pitot static check, but if you want to fly on an IFR flight plan legally you will need one. At least the installed Dynon should be good for GPS approaches.
Not sure I'd invest in anything VOR these days. You'll also need antennas and associated wiring. And make sure the energy budget can handle it especially if you're considering older used avionics. There's not much capacity on the Rotax.

I'm considering the GNS 625. Problem is like everything Garmin they're greedy and it's always bundled with a bunch of stuff not needed (by me at least).
A&P / Rotax iRMT 9 Series Maintenance
RV12 Flying.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
e. At least the installed Dynon should be good for GPS approaches.
For practice maybe, but not under IFR rules. You’ll need an “approved” gps for that, which in practice means a TSO’d box.
The real decisions to be made involve backup equipment. The FARs require none. Some pilots fly with that minimum; some with dual batteries, dual alternators, 3 attitude sources, dual vors plus ifr approved gps; and many are somewhere in between. This decision takes a lot of thought.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:06 PM

I have the GTN625; nice unit. Although it may seem pricey, I bought it for about $4900 when I got a G3X at the same time. I’d guess you can still get a deal if you talk to a major Garmin dealer, like Pacific or Gulf Coast Avionics or Sarasota.

I agree with the VOR sentiment. The FAA just dropped a couple more VOR’s from service where I live, so buying a NAV unit has even less attraction. Being able to do an ILS as a backup in the event GPS failed, but that would be a rare condition, especially considering it would have to occur while approaching an airport that had an ILS to be valuable. However, of the several airports I fly to frequently, only have GPS approaches are available, so having the WAAS GPS fulfills all of my navigation needs.

- RV12, N975G, Flying

Last edited by rongawer : 12-25-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:08 PM

Personally, I don’t think the 12 is a very good training platform for instrument training . I know, here it comes. Just my opinion based on experience.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Rans S21 Outbound (Coming soon)
Old 01-07-2018, 12:22 PM

Default GTN 650 in an RV12

Has anyone installed a GTN 650 in their RV12?