VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Ïf you went to a PCP or AME for BasicMed, what was their answer?
AME said "No problem, where do I sign?" 35 18.32%
AME said "Absolutely not (for whatever reason)". 11 5.76%
PCP said "You bet! Where do I sign?" 113 59.16%
PCP said "Nope. No way." 14 7.33%
PCP said yes, but you need to go get these other tests run... 7 3.66%
PCP said "I dunno, let me look into it and get back with you... 11 5.76%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
This sounds like a misunderstanding of "being" PIC as sole manipulator of the controls, and "acting as" PIC by being a safety pilot.

With this restriction in place, you can *never* regain currency using your airplane if you ever lose it by not shooting enough approaches in the 6 month time period. Doesn't seem logical.
There’s no misinderstanding on my part. The part 61 logging rules have a variety of scenarios where someone can log “PIC time” with, or without, actually being the PIC as defined in part 91. The part 61 logging rules allow a safety pilot to log “PIC time” only if he is the part 91 PIC. If that is the case, then myself, flying under the hood, can also log “PIC time” under part 61; but I am not the part 91 PIC, because the safety pilot is, and there is one and only one part 91 PIC - the person who is responsible, and the final authority, ... So if the safety pilot has a basic med, I can keep the FAA, or my insurance company, happy - but not both.

As to re-gaining currency: If I am not current, I cannot act as the part 91 PIC under ifr. However, I could fly under the hood in vfr, with a safety pilot with a class 3 medical, and re-gain currency. Or take an IPC, in vmc, with a cfi with a class 3 medical.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
There’s no misinderstanding on my part. The part 61 logging rules have a variety of scenarios where someone can log “PIC time” with, or without, actually being the PIC as defined in part 91. The part 61 logging rules allow a safety pilot to log “PIC time” only if he is the part 91 PIC. If that is the case, then myself, flying under the hood, can also log “PIC time” under part 61; but I am not the part 91 PIC, because the safety pilot is, and there is one and only one part 91 PIC - the person who is responsible, and the final authority, ... So if the safety pilot has a basic med, I can keep the FAA, or my insurance company, happy - but not both.

As to re-gaining currency: If I am not current, I cannot act as the part 91 PIC under ifr. However, I could fly under the hood in vfr, with a safety pilot with a class 3 medical, and re-gain currency. Or take an IPC, in vmc, with a cfi with a class 3 medical.
Sounds like the easiest thing to do is just call your insurance company and get clarification...you might be surprised, they may say it's no problem, or easy to amend the policy. I doubt they'd discourage anyone from maintaining IFR proficiency by disallowing a pilot w/ BasicMed who otherwise meets all requirements from being safety pilot acting as PIC.

Wonder if Jenny or someone else from an insurance broker might weigh in here?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:32 PM

I had a great experience with my PCP ... he heard about the Basic Med program but hadn't been asked to perform the eval yet. "Sure, why not?" he said. I send him the AOPA Basic Med for physicians FAQ and all went well. Probably a better medical exam than the 3rd class from the AME. No peeing required!
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Avionics and FF underway!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2017 donation happily made
Old 12-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
I had a great experience with my PCP ... he heard about the Basic Med program but hadn't been asked to perform the eval yet. "Sure, why not?" he said. I send him the AOPA Basic Med for physicians FAQ and all went well. Probably a better medical exam than the 3rd class from the AME. No peeing required!
Yeah, but did he sign off on your anus being flight-ready? It's on the checklist, after all! LOL!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:50 AM

I filled out and printed the FAA form 8700 before my annual wellness exam today. With a brief explanation, I presented it to my PCP and she had no issue with signing it. It was good timing as my 3rd class just expired.

RV-6 Flying
Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
Yeah, but did he sign off on your anus being flight-ready? It's on the checklist, after all! LOL!
That's only so the FAA knows they have a target to kick if you do something stupid!

When I showed up for my Basic Med appointment (the first one in this office), his Nurse Practitioner came in to perform the check-up. I asked if the Doc was going to sign the checklist? He replied that he signs the DOT documents all the time. I showed him the regs that state "State Licensed Physician". He reluctantly went to get the Doc. Anyone know if the FAA will accept a Nurse Practitioner on the checklist?
VAF #1100, EAA864
-6A bought flying
Old 12-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoboat View Post
That's only so the FAA knows they have a target to kick if you do something stupid!

When I showed up for my Basic Med appointment (the first one in this office), his Nurse Practitioner came in to perform the check-up. I asked if the Doc was going to sign the checklist? He replied that he signs the DOT documents all the time. I showed him the regs that state "State Licensed Physician". He reluctantly went to get the Doc. Anyone know if the FAA will accept a Nurse Practitioner on the checklist?
They do not.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Owen View Post
They do not.
Thanks, Didn't think so.
VAF #1100, EAA864
-6A bought flying