VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: f you went to a PCP or AME for BasicMed, what was their answer?
AME said "No problem, where do I sign?" 35 18.32%
AME said "Absolutely not (for whatever reason)". 11 5.76%
PCP said "You bet! Where do I sign?" 113 59.16%
PCP said "Nope. No way." 14 7.33%
PCP said yes, but you need to go get these other tests run... 7 3.66%
PCP said "I dunno, let me look into it and get back with you... 11 5.76%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2017, 01:20 PM

Default BasicMed

My PCP said NO.

Called my AME of 25 years, NO.

AOPA contacted. "Look for another, AME or doctor".

FAA covers liability for AME's for 1st, 2nd and 3rd class flight physicals but not for BasicMed. Therein lies the problem. Problems should have been anticipated.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:20 PM

Thanks Flyer for organizing this.
Ive been real interested in the PCP reactions.
These results are a encouraging.
Informal survey of 'breakfast flyers' in Sacramento shows it about 50/50 with the local PCP's.
May have something to do with liability climate in CA.
Sacramento, CA
Old 05-05-2017, 03:21 PM

Default PCP said No Problem...

My PCP read the document, conducted the exam and signed the document.
No problem.
2017 dues Paid
A new pilot having fun!
Old 05-06-2017, 12:25 AM

My PCP had no problem doing the exam. Second one he'd done this week.

For close vision, read the first paragraph of a magazine article held about 5 in from my nose, a standard eye chart for distance--just like the AME for my last class 3.

He didn't understand what critical aeronautical system was anus controlled, but confirmed I had one. What a relief.
In final assembly...

VAF dues paid 5 Dec 2017
Old 05-08-2017, 04:49 PM

Had mine this morning with my PCP - easy peasy. And I voted.

Worth noting is the checklist simply confirms said item was "Examined", not necessarily held to any standard. And then discussed with the applicant.

The doctor is just certifying that the items were examined and discussed, and that in their opinion, they found nothing that "...could interfere with the individual's ability to safely operate an aircraft." I think its the subjectivity of their opinion that helps isolate them at least a bit from legal action.

About to take the online course.

For me, the benefits are two-fold:

1) Opportunities may present themselves for me to fly non-LSA aircraft. Friends with a Mooney and Cirrus for example. As a commercial pilot and flight instructor I'm now good to go in a lot more choices than before, sans medical.

2) The Light Sport restrictions - Day VFR only, under 10,000', visual contact with the ground, increased VFR minimums - make sense for Light Sport pilots. For Private, Commercial and ATP pilots operating without a medical, those restrictions made a lot less sense. I have no immediate plans to fly an night or IFR, its nice to have the option again.

Overall, I'm very pleased.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B : 05-11-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:41 PM

Smile

Have made eleven contacts to date. Four AMEs are no, seven physicians no even though one did schedule me and then called to cancel on day of physical. I visited three docs in a box and found them staffed by Nurse practitioners and Physician asst. but no Doctors on site. I have a physical with my PCP next week, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised. Basic med is the best way for me, the alternative would be another 3k for another SI good for one year. Not ready to give up yet!
Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadson View Post
Have made eleven contacts to date. Four AMEs are no, seven physicians no even though one did schedule me and then called to cancel on day of physical. I visited three docs in a box and found them staffed by Nurse practitioners and Physician asst. but no Doctors on site. I have a physical with my PCP next week, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised. Basic med is the best way for me, the alternative would be another 3k for another SI good for one year. Not ready to give up yet!
Wow...the poll should have allowed multiple entries. Your data alone would have *doubled* both the AMEs and PCPs refusing to do a BasicMed.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadson View Post
Successfully completed my basic med today.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:24 PM

My PCP said no problem when I was in for my physical earlier this year. Unfortunately it would probably be MORE expensive for me to revisit my PCP in lieu of a AME, freggn' high deductible health plan...

Since I missed the opportunity at my annual physical, I'm just going to go with my AME for a 3rd class. No difficulty in getting a medical for me so why bother with a more restrictive version?

It's interesting to see how much backlash there's been about all this considering you can still do it the old way if you want...
Old 05-15-2017, 08:40 PM
hall monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC_Dave View Post

It's interesting to see how much backlash there's been about all this considering you can still do it the old way if you want...
Yep, we have twice as many choices as we did have......it seems some folks just like to.....backlash.....