VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-27-2017, 04:40 AM

Default Mobil 1 ATF as brake fluid..

I've been using Royco 782 but I am considering moving to M1 ATF, just due to the ease of aquiring from the local Autozone vs ordering it in.

Has anyone gone to M1 ATF without changing all the seals in the entire system without issue?
Old 03-27-2017, 05:29 AM

Started out life with it in 2010. Been using it since with no issues. Stock system with the exception of braided teflon lines.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Started out life with it in 2010. Been using it since with no issues. Stock system with the exception of braided teflon lines.
Did some reading and found others feel the same way. I'll drain the old and put in the new.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
I've been using Royco 782 but I am considering moving to M1 ATF, just due to the ease of aquiring from the local Autozone vs ordering it in.

Has anyone gone to M1 ATF without changing all the seals in the entire system without issue?
Tram .... I too wanted a brake fluid that can be easily located in time of dire need. I decided on using Amsoil ATF fluid because it has a higher flash point (453* F) than the Mobile 1 (which is 428*F) .... during a trip if a top-off is necessary, Moble 1 ATF can be sourced at any auto parts store and will mix well with the Amsoil. Been using the ATF fluid in the brake system for 9 months without any issues .... brakes are nice and solid.

Happy flying,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018

Last edited by John-G : 03-27-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: temp clarification
Old 03-27-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-G View Post
Tram .... I too wanted a brake fluid that can be easily located in time of dire need. I decided on using Amsoil ATF fluid because it has a slightly higher flash point than the Mobile 1 (over 450* if memory serves me).... during a trip if a top-off is necessary, Moble 1 ATF can be sourced at any auto parts store and will mix well with the Amsoil. Been using the ATF fluid in the brake system for 9 months without any issues .... brakes are nice and solid.

Happy flying,
I don't understand this fascination with auto parts store supplies, my guess is one could find standard 5606 at practically every airport in the world, ATF well not so much.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I don't understand this fascination with auto parts store supplies, my guess is one could find standard 5606 at practically every airport in the world, ATF well not so much.
What you say is true Walt and certainly holds a lot of weight coming from you.

The issue some of us want to avoid, if possible, is being stranded some late afternoon at a smaller airport that looks like a ghost town (which many do these days). Even at larger fields 5606 has to be ordered at times if the FBO is out of stock ... as a friend of mine recently experienced.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2018
Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
If the local airport has it, great. Many, actually, do not - or if they do (like my home base) you need to get it sometime between 8:00am and 5:00pm, M-F and many of us are at work during those times.

ATF-1 has a significantly higher flashpoint as well (220ºC vs. 104ºC) without real downsides compared to 5606. My question to you would be what does using 5606 bring to the table for our use that ATF doesn't? When I was faced with this decision, I couldn't find anything to recommend it, other than "it's what certified aircraft use". Have I been missing something for the last several years and 700 flight hours?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:01 AM

Have been using MOBIL ATF-1 for 5 years, 400 hours completely stock system, absolutely no issues.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018
Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 AM

4+ years, stock system with steel braided lines in the cockpit (and for the coil around the axle at the bottom), Mobil 1 ATF the whole time, no issues.

Only issues I ever had were very early on, getting rid of system leaks because of the *&%$# NPT fittings. Finally went to Teflon paste, and haven't had any problems at all since.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:20 AM

I switched over to it the last time I was in my brakes (previous owner put pistons in backwards). All the original fluid on one side had leaked out anyway, and I like the higher flash point of the ATF.
Straight swap where I just drained it completely, ran ATF through for a bit as a flush, then filled it up with ATF.
So far 0 problems, works just as good as the old stuff.
O320 - CS - IFR