Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Things you would have done differently?

Working through all the fiberglass fun of the finish kit on my SB -10. For the past 3 years (just looked at my sig block; exactly 3 years today) I've followed some of the more thorough build logs (at least the ones I've found) - Tim O, Ed K, Bill T, Mike J, Justin T, B&B U. Now that the aforementioned have been flying for a good amount of time, I'm wondering what you all (and any other -10 builders) would do differently if you could go back?

I'm at the point - airframe still mostly opened up, before systems install - where most changes/adjustments wouldn't be too terribly difficult.

I appreciate the insight!

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2017, 07:39 AM

How much time do you have invested so far Jon? I'm a little more than a year into it and still working on getting my wings complete.

Charlie
RV10 - #41673
http://n688cd.wordpress.com
N688CD Reserved
1980 Piper Archer II
2017 Dues Paid
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
Mike J [...] Now that the aforementioned have been flying for a good amount of time
I *wish* that were true for me... but thanks anyway for including me in the list

I've had my head down doing a lot of electrical stuff lately, including a ton of cool (to me) side projects, but haven't been making any updates to the blog at all. Someday I'll get back around to it.

Interested to see what others post here for advice... we're also at a similar point. Sounds like you're making excellent progress Jon, keep it up my friend! The year is young, let's fly before it's over

RV-10 In progress! (N165MJ reserved)
-Emp & Wings complete
-Panel wired up, working on Fuse & Finish
-Blog horribly outdated (sorry)
-Fingers crossed for 2017 flight!

http://mikeandsarahrv10.blogspot.com/
http://www.eaa33.org/
Old 01-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

I wish I had installed access panels in the tunnel for the pump/filter.

And access panels for airing up the tires without having to remove the wheel pant.

I am glad I installed rudder trim.

Although I installed seat heaters, I very rarely use them, and the wiring is a pain------would not repeat if building another 10.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post

Although I installed seat heaters, I very rarely use them, and the wiring is a pain------would not repeat if building another 10.
I am still hoping I can figure out a rudder trim solution, but the control approach pedals I have don't work with Aerosport kit, and I'm not going to cut into my painted rudder. I'll probably have to install a Yaw Damper someday!

And I agree with the seat heaters. I did the same thing you did, Mike. Installed the heating pads in the seats, but never bothered wiring them up.

And the biggest mistake I made during my build... DON'T BUY ANY ELECTRONICS/AVIONICS BEFORE YOU NEED THEM!!! Anyone want to buy some TruTrak AP servos??
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 01-23-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post
How much time do you have invested so far Jon?
Hi Charlie - I have a little over 2000 hours, but I've found that the time keeping varies greatly among individuals. I log when I walk in the garage and when I walk out. A lot of my 'build' time is probably scratching my head, staring blankly, and trying not to toss my dead blow into the tail cone I basically have 2 years of work as, unfortunately, I did a little more than 100 hours during all of '16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyj350 View Post
but haven't been making any updates to the blog at all. Someday I'll get back around to it... we're also at a similar point. Sounds like you're making excellent progress Jon, keep it up my friend! The year is young, let's fly before it's over
Yes, you need to update your blog! How else am I gonna cheat and take advantage of your and Sarah's hard work Seriously, though, I'm sure you're way ahead of me at this point. As I stated above, I did barely 100 hours all of last year (busy year with my retirement and transition into the civilian world. I have to work for real now) We'll be moving back north this spring/summer, too, so I have another delay upcoming. Oh well, I'm taking this time to assuage my OCD by taking my time to try to make things as nice as my abilities will allow. My goal is for engine/avionics this summer/early fall and flying by OSH '18, but with the move and an upcoming job change, I'm afraid even that may be very optimistic.

Quote:
access panels in the tunnel for the pump/filter, for airing up the tires, rudder trim...although I installed seat heaters, I very rarely use them
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBandit View Post
I'll probably have to install a Yaw Damper someday!.. I agree with the seat heaters...DON'T BUY ANY ELECTRONICS/AVIONICS BEFORE YOU NEED THEM!!![/b] Anyone want to buy some TruTrak AP servos??
Thank you both very much. I have the tunnel access. Excellent reminder about the pants - had holes on my -7A and they were very convenient. My plan, at the moment at least, is a yaw damper for the trim. Interesting about the seat heaters. That was a definite on the list, but now I'm going to reconsider...

Yes, Ed, I'm trying my best to run out of work (or close to it) prior to receiving any avionics. Perhaps it's just my imagination, but things seem to have slowed down a bit from when I bought my -7A (end of '11). Back then it seemed like every couple months there was some big announcement about a vendor adding this or that to their systems.

BTW, just watched your Johnson Creek video. Definite incentive to keep my head down and keep plugging away

Thanks guys!

Build: http://hhav8or.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2017, 01:57 PM

To echo others - not buying avionics too early. Same with the engine although if properly pickled that one is less of an issue.

Other things I would have done differently:
-- Not gone with the Vertical Power electrical system. My system works fine, but in hindsight I should have just used traditional fuses and breakers- would have been way cheaper to install.
-- Stayed at home vs moving to the hangar until I absolutely had too. Cost me a lot of time and money simply because I got antsy.
-- Not doing metal prep on everything in the tailcone. I alodined and primed everything in the tailcone. I would have saved a ton of time if I hadn't. I just primed (no alodine) the faying surfaces in my wings and just the skin joint overlaps on the fuse and wished I had only done that with the tailcone.
-- Skipped the overhead console. This is one that I'm on the fence about. I like mine, but it was a lot of extra work (old Accuracy Avionics POS) for a nice to have mod. The newer ones available are way easier to install but again it's a nice vs need to have mod IMO.
-- Sort of related to the avionics, I would wait to pull wires until I was ready to wire things up. If I did it again I'd install conduit and pull strings and stop there.
-- Do a better job of protecting my plexiglass. I was sloppy and have varying types of scratches (and in one place paint) on every window which is translating into extra work to get them back to looking new.
-- Finally, I will never use the "eyeball" type firewall pass throughs again for control cables. There are more simplistic and easier to install ways to accomplish the same result.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 01-23-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:19 PM

Default Question about Rudder Trim

A few posts above suggest that the yaw dampener (i.e. the Garmin AP with yaw dampener) can be used in lieu of rudder trim. Is this true? I thought the YD just kept the tail from wagging, not kept it in trim. Am I wrong about this?
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 01-23-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I wish I had installed access panels in the tunnel for the pump/filter.

And access panels for airing up the tires without having to remove the wheel pant.

Tunnel access panel - wish I had one
Tire air access panel - Maybe
Seat heaters - don't have them, in NorCal don't need them.
Rudder trim - don't have it, no desire to put it in, but:
I wish I had aileron trim. Shooting approaches is much easier when the plane is in perfect left right balance.

Last edited by BobTurner : 01-23-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilotmike View Post
A few posts above suggest that the yaw dampener (i.e. the Garmin AP with yaw dampener) can be used in lieu of rudder trim. Is this true? I thought the YD just kept the tail from wagging, not kept it in trim. Am I wrong about this?
I believe the answer is both, to an extent, but primarily the YD is intended to work as you described Mike. I think it can maintain some pressure on the rudder to keep it coordinated (all it's trying to do is center the ball), but if you need a fair amount of pedal pressure to do it then the yaw servo may not have enough authority, and the system will start barking at you to trim, which of course you can't if you don't have it. I suspect for the 90% use case though, this is enough to relieve your foot from having to maintain constant pressure, but still within the servo's capabilities. Not flying yet though of course, so I can't say personally for sure. As a data point, I'm installing both rudder trim and a YD to perform their individual duties.

RV-10 In progress! (N165MJ reserved)
-Emp & Wings complete
-Panel wired up, working on Fuse & Finish
-Blog horribly outdated (sorry)
-Fingers crossed for 2017 flight!

http://mikeandsarahrv10.blogspot.com/
http://www.eaa33.org/