Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-29-2016, 01:57 AM

Default Run some spares for CPI etc

Hi Justin,
My system is similar to what you have designed ( VPX-Pro, Dual alt,A/C etc)

I flew for two years and 300hrs before fitting the CPI, I had planned to do it one day and having the spare wires and circuits already run, made the install very easy. The CPI's have there own separate circuits,easy to run and terminate a bunch of spare wires now for a 'someday upgrade'

Cheers
RV-10 #40597
Airflow Systems Air-Con
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=15
VH-XTE 400hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7

Last edited by Dustyone : 12-29-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
The alternator field and air conditioner wire sizes could be much smaller.
I'll change the field wires to 20 and the AC ones to 14. Might be able to go smaller, I think the AC run is probably a few feet since that evaporator sits on a shelf above the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyone View Post
Hi Justin,
My system is similar to what you gave designed ( VPX-Pro, Dual alt,A/C etc)

I flew for two years and 300hrs before fitting the CPI, I had planned to do it one day and having the spare wires and circuits already run, made the install very easy. The CPI's have there own separate circuits,easy to run and terminate a bunch of spare wires now for a 'someday upgrade'

Cheers
I remember reading through your thread this summer on your install. I am going to have some planning for future electronic type ignition or other things.
Donated for 2018
Old 12-29-2016, 09:43 AM

Default For those that follow...

...thanks for posting all the good information. If you guys are emailing stuff around, I sure would like to see some example schematics for my own reference too.

Ashley,
Your 10 looks very nice. I thought long and hard about AC in my 10, but couldn't justify it. If I decide later on to go this route, is Don's system able to be retrofitted? Also, in your opinion, do you think it would be possible to put the scoop on the top of the tail cone, or is there something in the system that would not allow this type of an install? I am currently planning to have a belly pod on my 10, so I wouldn't be able to have a scoop on the bottom. My plan for AC is to use the ice cooler type of unit, so that it's removable, offering more flexibility and (if not needed) no weight penalty. Plus it's a lot cheaper too. However, I'm trying to keep my options open, if I decide that a dedicated AC unit is the way to go.
RV-10 (41PX Reserved) Fuselage
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikrettig
Old 12-29-2016, 11:04 AM

Mike,

Suggest you call Bill Genevro of Airflow Systems at 949-218-9701 to ask about an alternate mounting location for the A/C condenser scoop. I'm installing his system in my RV-10 as part of the initial build, but I understand that a number of people have installed his system as a retrofit.

As to the ice cooler type of A/C units, I have one I purchased this past summer at Air Venture that I have used a couple of times in my Grumman Traveler. While I understand some people find these meet their needs, I have found mine to be too much trouble for the little bit of cooling provided. Getting it into and out of the plane when it is full of ice water is difficult since my Traveler doesn't have a baggage door, so it might be less trouble on an RV-10. But here in the Houston area, 20 lbs. of ice provides less than an hour of cooling in the summer, and doesn't reduce my cabin temp. by very much. It is certainly a lot cheaper, and avoids the work to install the permanent unit, but for me I have decided that the Airflow Systems A/C should be a much better solution.

Regards,
Dave Macdonald
RV-10 Finishing Kit Rec'd Nov. 2016
Old 12-29-2016, 11:13 AM

I have Airflow A/C and love it. I ran the hoses down the right side. I did have to "Bulge out" my cargo compartment panel on that side to have room for the hose. I used split pvc pipe to do that and it just looks like a bumper/brace.
Having the overhead panel is nice to allow running a wire bundle through the windshield brace and through the overhead. I have the A/C wires, GPS wires, overhead lights, and three extra future use wires through there.

I have my dual Dynon ADAHRS stack mounted below the A/C shelf on one side and the blower on top on the other side. I get zero compass change on low and about 3 degrees on high fan. In reality, the magnetic issue is no big deal in a modern GPS airplane. The airplane is going to go where you send it. The only variable is a tiny error in your wind direction display. I placard to have the A/C off during ILS approaches.

The biggest interference I've found with the compass readout is if the rear pax shoulder strap cable sags down which is why I put the ADAHRS stack below the composite shelf. I've thought of having a sailboat shop fab me some cables in stainless, but a made a little cross brace on top of the shelf that keeps the cables from sagging down.

Electrically I really recommend Approach Fast Stack or similar technology for the panel. It really makes it easy.

I hate batteries because they're heavy and expensive so I went with one ship's battery and a Piper style external plug. I do have backup on the Dynons.
RV-10 BPE, Dynon, Airflow systems A/C
First flight May 10, 2014
Old 12-29-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
The centralized distribution method I'm going with is a VPX Pro.

Happy New Years!
Justin,

I note the backup battery for the GTN-650, the one ADHARS module, one EFIS display and the EIS module. I'm guessing that battery will provide ~45 minutes of operation. Is that the reserve you are looking for?

Carl
Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 PM

Not to get too far off track, but if you go with the Flightline AC system, it only has two louvers for the condenser and no scoop. You could put those louvers on the side or on the top, although the airflow on top may not be as much as the sides or bottom. They may even fit on the bottom with your pod, as they are only about 5 inches wide.

The diagram looks good. I'm curious if you would share the Visio file? If so, I'd love to take a look at it. I'm learning Visio now as an alternate to Express ECH. tim dot huneycutt at gmail dot com. Thanks!
N127TL Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2017 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majuro15 View Post
Not to get too far off track, but if you go with the Flightline AC system, it only has two louvers for the condenser and no scoop. You could put those louvers on the side or on the top, although the airflow on top may not be as much as the sides or bottom. They may even fit on the bottom with your pod, as they are only about 5 inches wide.

The diagram looks good. I'm curious if you would share the Visio file? If so, I'd love to take a look at it. I'm learning Visio now as an alternate to Express ECH. tim dot huneycutt at gmail dot com. Thanks!
Thanks. I'd like a copy of your Visio file too, please. ppilotmike at gmail dot com
Old 12-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
will provide ~45 minutes of operation. Is that the reserve you are looking for?
Was hoping the the largest 6ah version it would be closer to 1 hour. My backup to the backup is the G5 so combined that should be enough to get out of IMC. As I mentioned I have yet to fly in any hard IMC where I can't get out of the clouds by changing altitude a few thousand feet.

On the topic of AC I like the Airflow system because it's not electric and spreads the components out. I've riden in 172/182 with an electric AC and it wasn't all that impressive on the ground... which is where I want it. Since we're talking about it this is how I'm running my lines.

Bill has reviewed it and feels it would work. One of my rules of thumbs is don't install anything that will be completely closed up and uninspectable or workable later on. So I'm going to run the lines out the back and up the starboard side to the engine compartment. I'm going to make my HVAC friend help me out.

Also I'll email the Visio files that I've done so far for those that have asked. They're no where near complete but you'll have what I did so far.
Donated for 2018
Old 12-29-2016, 04:55 PM

Default Long runs..

Justin,

Those look to be pretty long runs of chiller lines. How are they insulated to make sure that the Frion (or whatever) is still cold when it gets back to the back of the plane? Especially, considering that the lines start in the engine compartment (=hot)??