VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM

Default Backup Steam gauges

I will soon (I hope) be flying either a new S-LSA RV12 or a professionally built E-LSA. I am old fashioned--lotsa CFI, IFR, long range and Mexico Flying. I am used to steam gages....they are all old friends.

I think I would like to have backup steam Altimeter and Airspeed in any plane with a "glass cockpit." So do you know if there is a restriction on those in either a SLSA or an -ELSA.

I will go to Aurora to test fly an RV12 next month and I'm sure I can get an answer to these questions there but I'd like your comments in wisdom first.

Thanks,
EBB
Old 10-02-2013, 10:49 AM

E-LSA won't be a problem after the time is flown off. S-LAS will be a lot harder but not impossible. Lots of paperwork with the FAA or a DER going S-LSA just like the spam cans today.
RV12 - Flying - Sold
Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 AM

I'm going back in my memory bank, from things Mel has mentioned over the years. I believe I am correct here:

Unless you take the S-LSA aircraft and re-register it as an E-LSA, I don't think it is permissible. However, as others mentioned, if you buy an E-LSA, after the inspection and after the hours are flown off, you can add them.

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skyhawk 172
Rebuilding a true barn find J-3 Cub
Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 AM

Gary is correct. No changes can be made to SLSA without written approval from the manufacturer. The operating limitations state that any unauthorized changes will make the airworthiness certificate invalid.

SLSA can be re-certificated as ELSA. After that you may make any changes you like.

Actually SLSA is more restricted than Standard Certificated aircraft.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor

Last edited by Mel : 10-02-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Bonanza Bucko View Post
I will soon (I hope) be flying either a new S-LSA RV12 or a professionally built E-LSA. I am old fashioned--lotsa CFI, IFR, long range and Mexico Flying. I am used to steam gages....they are all old friends.
EBB
Really, you sure you want to do that? I know old habits die hard but I'm pretty sure I could fly my -12 just by looking out the window.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 10-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rocket View Post
Really, you sure you want to do that? I know old habits die hard but I'm pretty sure I could fly my -12 just by looking out the window.
Plus many of the current EFIS offerings have a six pack screen. I've found that to be a great transition tool. One screen on six pack and the other on the standard tapes. Then transition as soon as you're comfortable with the new formats.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Fly with the SV for 30 minutes. You will never want to go back. Question on SLSA - Does written permission from Vans to - say add an altimeter -'mean that they are essentially approving an STC? Would they just have to write "Sure, do that" or provide detailed drawings of exactly how? Or could they just say "Sure, have it done by a certified mechanic following standard aircraft techniques per FAR XXXXX." Or is this such a new area that the answers are unknown?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:47 PM

It is a LOT of work rerouting the pitot and static lines up to the panel. The sensors for the SkyView's pitot and static lines are not usually installed in the panel.

As the others have said, fly with the SkyView, it is really intuitive.

(When I reworked my panel and installed the SkyView, I had to drill up the floor boards and rout the lines into the tail cone.)
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 10-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
It is a LOT of work rerouting the pitot and static lines up to the panel. The sensors for the SkyView's pitot and static lines are not usually installed in the panel.

As the others have said, fly with the SkyView, it is really intuitive.

(When I reworked my panel and installed the SkyView, I had to drill up the floor boards and rout the lines into the tail cone.)
Exactly! The Skyview pitot and static connections in an E-LSA or an S-LSA RV-12 are mounted way back in the upper tailcone. It would be a bear to do this after the fact, not to mention routing the tubing through the already quite full RV-12, center tunnel!

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skyhawk 172
Rebuilding a true barn find J-3 Cub
Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_H View Post
Fly with the SV for 30 minutes. You will never want to go back. Question on SLSA - Does written permission from Vans to - say add an altimeter -'mean that they are essentially approving an STC? Would they just have to write "Sure, do that" or provide detailed drawings of exactly how? Or could they just say "Sure, have it done by a certified mechanic following standard aircraft techniques per FAR XXXXX." Or is this such a new area that the answers are unknown?
There are no STC's for S-LSA. However, there is a formal process required and some manufacturers charge. In the end, you get an LOA (Letter of Approval) which could be aircraft specific or fleet wide.

Provided the manufacturer agrees with your request.
Rotax Service, Maintenance, and Heavy Maintenance Trained
Building an RV-12, N7878H reserved
Flying a Flight Design CTSW