Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Micro Molex solution - slice them off, use gold D Sub pins and sockets and a bit of heat shrink.... Move on

Donated in 2017
Old 10-03-2017, 06:39 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Agree. I tried using someone's double crimper (crimps the wire and tefzel coating at the same time) but it didn't go well. Sometimes you have to trim off a bit of the tabs that go around the wire coating to avoid breaking them off due to being too long.
I think that is because the tooling assumes a thicker commercial PVC type insulation.

Our Tefzel stuff is pretty thin compared to most insulation.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 10-04-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
Micro Molex solution - slice them off, use gold D Sub pins and sockets and a bit of heat shrink.... Move on
Or just use the Dsub housings. In any case, Dsubs are much better quality and fewer headaches down the road. The Dsub pins are rated up to 7 amps each (5A if you want to be ultra conservative), and you can use 6" pigtails to parallel multiple pins if you need higher current.

If you insist on using Molex style terminals, know that the industrial quality crimpers (at least the ones I have access to, that spent their previous life in a GM/Packard/Delphi wire harness plant) do a 'B' crimp on both the wire and the strain relief (insulation). The insulation crimp is just a slightly bigger version of the wire crimp.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
I have come to agree with this position. I find I really donít like or trust mini Molex connections!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Default Iwiss Crimper

With the right tool, the micro molexís go together fairly easily and are a reliable connector thatís easy to assemble and disconnect. The right tool for this job is available for about $23 on Amazon. It can also do the hitachi or dupont crimps as well. I do agree that D-Sub connectors are a very solid choice, but the micro-molex (and generic others) are much smaller and easier to route if needed.

IWISS Crimping Tools for Dupont Professional Pin Compression Ratcheting Modular Insulated Terminal Crimper Pin 2.54mm 3.96mm 28-18AWG 0.5-1.0mm2 with Wire-electrode Cutting Die https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OMM4YUY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4MbjAbAX9C4W1

- RV12, N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finishing up.
- BE58, N1975G, stimulating the economy one flight at a time.