VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How important was the existence of VAF in your decision to build an RV.
It was not a factor. 95 43.98%
It was a factor. 26 12.04%
It was a significant factor. 84 38.89%
It was the most important factor. 11 5.09%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 AM

Definitely! I read this forum for almost a year before I decided I want to build and Have been trying to learn as much as possible on here every since. The help and knowledge people are willing to share here is amazing. I try to give a little bit back by sharing my build experience.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:56 PM

It did not exist when I started construction. The Matronics RV list was the top internet Go to Source at the time. VAF has certainly been a great help though since.

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2017 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV (RV4chick's blog)
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
Bob, some are repeat builders, having built both BEFORE and AFTER this site came into existence.

Vic
Vic thanks for your constructive comment. Certainly this poll has proven to be trickier than I first imagined. Obviously if builders started building before VansAirforce existed then it is not relevant for them to vote because one cannot determine the influence of VAF if it did not exist at the time. But I think it is relevant for builders to vote if they are repeat builders and started their repeat build after the formation of VAF. In the latter case the resources of VAF, if not the camaraderie, may have been a factor in their decision to build another RV.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 12-08-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:36 AM

Default Not a factor .... well sorta

The site was not a direct factor, in that my wife wanted a four place. However, I think the site was indirectly a big factor. You see, I chose the RV10 because of the reputation Vans has for wonderful aircraft, great support and someday (I hope a long time from now) great resale value.

Most home builts are not worth the sum of their parts cost ..... not so with Vans.

I think this site goes a long way in supporting that reputation.
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2017
Old 12-08-2017, 07:39 AM

Default Didn't vote but still want to respond!!

You see Bob, the thing is that many of us started our builds waaaay before VAF came along! But this site has been so informative, so supportive, and yes, even so social, that I just can't help myself!

I just HAD to jump in and add my two cents worth! Doug Reeves and VAF is absolutely priceless!!

There....I feel better now..
Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 AM

VAF's existence had no impact on my decision to build--I helped my dad with a -6 starting in 1998, and we finished and flew it well before I knew VAF existed. Deciding to build, and eventually to go with a -7, was entirely driven by my involvement with Dad's airplane and the other guys at FFC.

However, I've gained a lot of good technical information, and my decision to go EFI stemmed from first learning about it here.

ETA: Started in 2013

Last edited by rmartingt : 12-08-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok View Post
The site was not a direct factor, in that my wife wanted a four place. However, I think the site was indirectly a big factor. You see, I chose the RV10 because of the reputation Vans has for wonderful aircraft, great support and someday (I hope a long time from now) great resale value.

Most home builts are not worth the sum of their parts cost ..... not so with Vans.

I think this site goes a long way in supporting that reputation.
Ditto. I would have built my 10 regardless of whether VAF existed as I started looking at building back in the early 90's (Glasairs and Lancairs), changed my focus to 4-seaters as my family grew (Velocity, Compair, Lancair, Wheeler Express, Murphy Super Rebel) in the early 2000's and knew what I wanted in 2003 when the RV-10 project was announced.

However, when asked to provide an opinion as to whether an RV is the right choice for a prospective builder/buyer, I always include the builder community, which VAF is a major part of, as one of the "Pros" for going with an RV.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 12-08-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:13 AM

While I love this site and have had great help from it so far, I cannot say that it was a factor in my decision.

The lost Dan C RV7 website was way more important, it was when reading that site, that I decided that I would sooner or later build an RV.... When the time finally came the RV14 had been announced
RV-14 kit #140138
working on the finish kit
wings, tail kit and fuselage basically done
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Us too.

I can still remember D.R. coming to the Beacon with his camera before he quit his day job and eating a burger wanting to get started on an RV. Us too for that matter, as we would drive up from Houston to see what RV's would show-up. But, the "VAF" as it came to be named as time went on was and is factor or good contribution to our build.
Thanks to all that have helped all these years as we still like to pick-up ideas and hints from this system of collaborations. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 12-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Absolutely huge.. Vans should be paying Doug 2% a kit sold
N517NC ( reserved)
Dues Paid
NOV 2016
July 2017
Closed Thread