- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Default RV-12 ULS Winterization Kits from Van's

FYI see: http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Noti...2017-03-01.pdf
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 570+ hours (as of Dec 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 AM

I have one of these. The oil cooler portion works fine as a supplement to my oil thermostat to keep the oil temps in the green. The radiator cooler is too small for flying in conditions less than about 35 F. I like the simplicity of the design of the radiator cooler, but it is inadequate in my climate, even at the maximum setting. I was hoping to avoid the installation of a Bender Baffle, but I think that is my only option at this point.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:58 PM

Default COMMENTS ONLY - -

If you use a Thermostasis Oil Therm, your oil is good. It is confusing, but the temp we see on the display is the oil temp at the engine, not the tank. The "Bender Baffle" as some call it, has been my best mod for cold weather comfort. I have scheduled a Flyout for tomorrow. It will be about 18 degrees when I take off. I will be comfortable heat-wise. Once you greatly slow the air-flow thru the rad., it warms the engine coolant, and slows down the air SPEED going thru the rad. That combination gives very good heat. Yes, it takes a few hours to build the "Heater Damper Door", but worth it if you want to fly in cold weather.
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-10-17 )
Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPILOT View Post
If you use a Thermostasis Oil Therm, your oil is good. It is confusing, but the temp we see on the display is the oil temp at the engine, not the tank. The "Bender Baffle" as some call it, has been my best mod for cold weather comfort. I have scheduled a Flyout for tomorrow. It will be about 18 degrees when I take off. I will be comfortable heat-wise. Once you greatly slow the air-flow thru the rad., it warms the engine coolant, and slows down the air SPEED going thru the rad. That combination gives very good heat. Yes, it takes a few hours to build the "Heater Damper Door", but worth it if you want to fly in cold weather.
The Thermostasis kit has proven to be very popular. John was one of the early installers, and worked with us to develop the kit.

One advantage is that it is a year round package that doesn't need to be changed as the temperatures change.

The only disadvantage is that it is definitely a higher price point than a metal plate over the cooler.

Steve

Please email us at aircraftspecialty@gmail.com with any questions.

Your Source for Custom CNC parts, CNC cut instrument panels and labeling, Teflon fuel/oil hoses, Headsets, and many other items for Experimental Aircraft.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraft Specialty View Post
The Thermostasis kit has proven to be very popular. John was one of the early installers, and worked with us to develop the kit.

One advantage is that it is a year round package that doesn't need to be changed as the temperatures change.

The only disadvantage is that it is definitely a higher price point than a metal plate over the cooler.

Steve
This kit that Steve sells is a must have.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 12-06-2017, 04:10 PM

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, I have the Thermostasis thermostat and the Aircraft Specialty hoses. It is a great system for heating up the oil faster.

I am confused as to why the temp at the oil tank is relevant, since the sending unit is located on the oil pump. My oil temp gauge reads 180 F most of the time, and the Rotax operating manual section 2.1 states that the normal operating temperature should be between 190 to 230 F. I added the Vans oil cooler baffle to get the temps into the green, which I could not do because the thermostat appears to open at 180. I would assume that Rotax would calibrate the appropriate oil temps based on where the sensor is installed.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:19 PM

Default Will try to answer oil temps -

Rotax wants the oil to be at that temp to keep water from forming in the system. If you have a Thermostasis, then the oil is getting into a needed temp range IN THE TANK. Since your display is reading the temp at the engine, it does not represent what temp the oil is in the tank. On very cold days, the oil going into the engine may appear much lower, but that is because cold oil is being blended at the Therm and goes back to the engine cooler than it actually is in the tank.

Hope that makes some sense.
Paid in May ( 5-10-17 )
Old 12-06-2017, 10:19 PM

The oil temp sensor is located at the oil pump housing, reading the temp of the oil as it enters the engine.
The oil cooler on the RV-12 is connected in series between the oil tank and the oil pump inlet, so if the oil temp on the indicator is at least in the bottom of the normal range, the oil temp in the tank is probably even higher.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-07-2017, 01:37 PM

Default GOOD EXAMPLE TODAY - - - -

Was about 4 degrees F at Alt today. I have Thermostasis. Oil temp at engine was 153 degrees on display. NO PROBLEM. Oil in tank is between 195 - 205 degrees. Very cold oil from cooler was blending with warm oil thru Therm, and 153 degrees was going back to engine.

Paid in May ( 5-10-17 )

Last edited by JBPILOT : 12-07-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: temp correction
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPILOT View Post
Was about 4 degrees F at Alt today. I have Thermostasis. Oil temp at engine was 153 degrees on display. NO PROBLEM. Oil in tank is between 195 - 205 degrees. Very cold oil from cooler was blending with warm oil thru Therm, and 158 degrees was going back to engine.
John - is 200F CHT accomplished by blocking off coolant radiator? Good trick with near 0F OAT...
P/ASEL 1970 Sport Pilot since '04
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
LSRM-A Certificate 2016
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/15 with 48TT - Hobbs now 317