Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM

To heck with the fix...Man...where does a guy lay in a supply of that pink shag carpet?

Were you Austin Powers in a previous life??

YIO-360-M1B
T67-Hicks Airport, Texas
Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 PM

Hangar towels...direct out of my grandparents collection! I'm too cheap to throw perfectly good ugly towels away!
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 05-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Why is it often # 2 cylinder concerned by stuck valve? In my O320 lycoming egt# 2 is often low , sometimes 150 °F below the hottest? I think I ´ll inspect my cyl #2 very soon...At start up it runs rough during a minute , next time I look closely at the EIS # 2 Egt .
Old 12-04-2017, 07:37 PM

Default Another Stuck Valve

A year ago I had a sticky valve on #2. I was going to do a precautionary check on all the cylinders as soon as the weather turned bad for a few days. Sunday was perfect weather in NE Ohio so I planned a breakfast run of about an hour over some rough terrain to W Va. My buddy canceled so I stayed close to home. After 30 minutes of local flying #4 cyl went dead and I was able to land at a nearby airport. Borscope revealed a perfect impression of the exhaust valve in the top of the piston so I pulled the cyl and the valve is very stuck along with bent pushrod and tube. The piston feels ok but I am having a qualified shop inspect everything. My understanding is that this problem is often caused be a poor hydraulic actuator so that will need to be inspected also. 40 Year’s of flying Lycoming Engines and never had a cyl removed.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfurey View Post
A year ago I had a sticky valve on #2. I was going to do a precautionary check on all the cylinders as soon as the weather turned bad for a few days. Sunday was perfect weather in NE Ohio so I planned a breakfast run of about an hour over some rough terrain to W Va. My buddy canceled so I stayed close to home. After 30 minutes of local flying #4 cyl went dead and I was able to land at a nearby airport. Borscope revealed a perfect impression of the exhaust valve in the top of the piston so I pulled the cyl and the valve is very stuck along with bent pushrod and tube. The piston feels ok but I am having a qualified shop inspect everything. My understanding is that this problem is often caused be a poor hydraulic actuator so that will need to be inspected also. 40 Year’s of flying Lycoming Engines and never had a cyl removed.
Is the valve bent or stuck in the guide? If stuck then the problem is guide to valve clearance. Unless the lifter stuck in the case do not see how it would affect anything. Its there to maintain proper clearance for the valve.
What I have run into with lifters is they go flat as in wont pump up with oil pressure for some reason. I have seen problems when the clearance between the stem and valve was just a little too tight and after running for several hours stuck on a warmer day than usual.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:43 PM

I have very little knowledge in this area but the Lycoming tech rep who has been very responsive and helpful said it is often the the lifter that starts the problem. This was also the opinion of the rep from one of the well known engine shops.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Default A question for Malon and other experts

My YIO 360-M1B with 440hrs had a very stuck valve that may have ruined the valve seat and put a perfect imprint of the valve on the piston which calls into question the condition of the piston, bearings, etc.

It was suggested that I have all 4 cylinders sent to one of the custom engine shops to have them "fix" the problem. My question is whether there is a fix for this issue rather than just trying to stay ahead of it with inspections.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:14 AM

As several other posters have mentioned, Marvel Mystery Oil has worked well for me for years. I bought an Apache years back with a couple of high time O-320's, that would pop and snort on a cold start until warmed up. I added a quart of MMO to each engine, and the problem disappeared almost immediately. This stuff is an excellent upper cylinder lubricant for valves and rings. I plan on adding a pint to my oil changes once my new YIO-360-M1B is broken in. They say the "Mystery" additive is banana oil, whatever, I am a believer in this stuff and the Old Timers swear by it.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
2018 dues paid.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:26 PM

Default Marvel Mystery Oil

For years I used it in Turbo Charged Continental engines to help with sticking valves. I don't think it was approved by Continental but many if not most operators swore by it. Anyone know what Lycoming has to say about it?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:49 PM

The only "Lycoming" approved additive is LW-16702 Anti scuffing agent. It adds about $35 to the cost of an oil change. However there are several "FAA" approved additives such as Avblend,
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
2018 dues paid.