- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
Like a previous poster implied, if your criteria is "how long till I can fly" then you are buying this for the wrong reason. You need to enjoy the journey or else you won't finish it or it will be a very unhappy experience. If you don't WANT to build, go buy a flying RV. You will be much happier. They are great airplanes.
I will heartily second (or third, or whatever) this comment. Our project has taken approximately 3 times as long as expected to go from quick-build to flying state. Part way through, about at the originally-projected first flight date, I started to get frustrated. Then some life happened and my perspective took a very necessary adjustment.

Now, on the verge of first flight, I find myself spending time in the hangar doing all the little "clean it up and make it better" projects on the airplane. I've even caught myself wondering what I'll do once the airplane is flying.

All I can say is that I am very, very glad that I finally stepped away from working toward a timeline and moved to a "build it for enjoyment" mindset. It's made all the difference in the world to me and my family to see an airplane builder come home from the hangar with a grin on his face.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 PM

Default Next week

This was my reply to the inevitable question of - when will it be done. NEXT WEEK, For most of the 10 years I spent building. It took some people asking 3 or 4 times before they figured out that next week was some time in the future. And by NOT having a deadline I didnít get frustrated, enjoyed the build and REALLY enjoy flying my RV. Forget the time line. Build it right.
RV 7A. RV #9700
Built in SoCal KCCB
N325KS
Phase 1 Completed Nov 2017
Old 12-05-2017, 09:32 PM

I'm at about the same point in my build ... avionics and engine.

I'm an electrical engineer I and totally believed that the electro-bits would be a piece of cake. On one level, they are easy .. the putting it together is no problem. I have the tools an experience; I've built spacecraft; I have fancy crimpers and strippers and mil-specs, and such.

What surprised me was all the time needed to plan the final package. Unlike the rest of the kit to this point, the avionics/instrument package is not specified in the plans really at all. You need to decide on a vendor (Dynon, Advanced, GRT, Garmin, Steam, Glass, etc), read ALL the documentation, understand ALL the documentation, generate the schematics, engineer the wiring/connectors/cable bundles, switches, power distribution, etc, etc. Only then when the paperwork is done and verified, the "craftsmanship" of routing and crimping can take place, which you might have to learn how to do well, just like riveting (and priming).

It's easily a 150-200 hrs of reading, planning, designing, (redesigning) to get to a design that will work the way you want. It's been fun, but slow!

With that being said, a Dynon fast panel or a big check to SteinAir would help things go faster, but that's only the panel. You'll need to work out routing to the wings, flaps, stick grips, servos, ELT, ACS/strobes, and FF that is completely separate of what fits behind the panel and on the sub-panel.

This is the finish carpentry part of the build. Getting the walls up is quick; the interior takes extra time.

At some point in the future, I hope to put together a set of posts to document my process and what I learned .. these birds teach you lots of good things, some of which are about flying (most of which are about primer ;-)
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Avionics and FF underway!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2017 donation happily made

Last edited by wjb : 12-05-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 AM

Default About the same place as the kit you are contemplating

I am about at the same point with my kit and as I work away from home my build time has become only a few hours each weekend. DO NOT DO THIS!

If you are thinking to build it will likely take about 250 to 400 hours more of your dedicated and focused time, who has this?

So it will go that you will work on it when you can and distribute those hours accordingly over that time. Can you focus on it? Can you deprive your family of your time for that 250 to 400 hours? This question needs answering in my opinion.

My build has taken way too long and now discouraged it gets more easy to think of selling but I cant. I have to finish it but after 8 years of building I want my life back.

So dont ask how long , ask can you take 450 hours of you life out and will you be happy doing so. Many RV's built now so used price coming down on good planes, my advice .....Buy one. Dont build unless you REALLY want that specific challenge, if you want to fly.....BUY ONE!
Wings complere

Fuse coming along, Canopy looking good!
AME reviewed and repaired O-320-Lyc installed
Old 12-09-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4754 View Post
I am about at the same point with my kit and as I work away from home my build time has become only a few hours each weekend. DO NOT DO THIS!

If you are thinking to build it will likely take about 250 to 400 hours more of your dedicated and focused time, who has this?

So it will go that you will work on it when you can and distribute those hours accordingly over that time. Can you focus on it? Can you deprive your family of your time for that 250 to 400 hours? This question needs answering in my opinion.

My build has taken way too long and now discouraged it gets more easy to think of selling but I cant. I have to finish it but after 8 years of building I want my life back.

So dont ask how long , ask can you take 450 hours of you life out and will you be happy doing so. Many RV's built now so used price coming down on good planes, my advice .....Buy one. Dont build unless you REALLY want that specific challenge, if you want to fly.....BUY ONE!
That's good advice for most. I often wonder how many RV's have been started yet languish in a garage somewhere covered in dust looking unloved for many years whilst the owner has lost interest to the very reason/s the poster has stated here? I guess it all depends on a few factors whether to build of just buy, time, space, money, ability & of course the family (if applicable). I'd love to build a Vans but am not really in a positon to do it so buying suits me, besides I'd rather fly for those several years it would take to complete one, just wish there was more choice down under to buy, RV's don't come up very often for sale here:-(
Old 12-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Not a 7, but on my 9A build I remember that when the airframe was finished and on the gear, minus the engine and panel, I was at roughly the halfway point. A lot of people get frustrated and give up at this point because there is basically zero instructions to follow for this part. Vans gives some broad recommendations, but every builder wants something slightly different and the engine and panel are the places where a single well-defined path turns into a thousand choices. The transition from "assembler" to "designer/builder" is a tough one for some folks to make.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.