Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-04-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Bonanza Bucko View Post
Thanks guys. I guess I should have added that I am not interested in Steam gages because I like them but because they don't fail like glass cockpits are bound to.
EBB
Sure they do. All the time. They are mechanical devices with gears and wheels, like a pocket watch. Also, pitot/static tubes get contaminated, in which case a steam gauge or efis will stop working. So if you put in backup ASI and Alt hooked into the same pitot static lines, your reliability won't really improve. If your efis has a back up power source I bet it is statistically more reliable than an ASI, especially the cheapo Falcon ones.

There is a lot of prejudice out there, based on fear and superstition, but not hard data. "I feel more comfortable with X" doesn't mean X is safer.

Bottom line is, if you really want to be safe, learn to fly without ASI and Alt. It is not really that difficult. It was part of my initial training prior to solo. Personally I seem to land better without them. I guess I am more focused on visual cues. That extra half hour of training is cheaper than backup steam gauges.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 PM

If you really want a backup, put a Dynon Pocket Panel in the plane for your back up.

Since you are going to be flying as an LSA (day VFR), you should have no problem landing if the SkyView went dark.

If you add a backup handheld GPS to the Pocket Panel, then you can aviate and navigate but you still won't have engine instruments.

How much weight do you want to add in backup instruments?

The truth is, the SkyViews are amazingly reliable.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Default First thing I did after

Getting my airworthiness slip and flying 5 hours was to add steam airspeed and altimeter and a slip indicator. I used fittings from one of the common suppliers and put T's into the lines behind the panel. Took very little time and works like a charm. Thinking about a whiskey compass for the time when the D180 goes black.

Wayne 120241 458 hours
Old 12-05-2017, 09:07 AM

There seems to be a misconception here that an ELSA cannot be modified until phase I testing is completed. That is not the case, An ELSA can be modified immediately after certification. I know this is a minor point, but let's keep things clear.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 12-05-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee-flyer View Post
Getting my airworthiness slip and flying 5 hours was to add steam airspeed and altimeter and a slip indicator. I used fittings from one of the common suppliers and put T's into the lines behind the panel. Took very little time and works like a charm. Thinking about a whiskey compass for the time when the D180 goes black.

Wayne 120241 458 hours
The going black part makes the steam gauges valuable as they do not rely on batteries or an alternator. Been flying on and off since 1963 on steam gauges, many times with the basic, needle ball and airspeed. No fancy digital gauges for the engine even on injected ones never had a problem.
Just my take on things, I would have basic ones like mentioned if I were to build again.