Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-26-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus92 View Post
The SDS CPI has a weatherpack-type 4 pin connector that joins the coil to a wiring harness to the cockpit controller and power. I want to hard mount the harness side to the rear baffle - is there a mounting accessory for these types of connectors? If I need to fab something, any suggestions?
Use a band clamp wrapped around the connector and attach to an adel clamp. Mine currently is attached with zip ties but will make more permanent with the band clamp next time the cowl comes off.
Based at 1H0 (Creve Coeur)
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4way View Post
I didnít do this with my install but I wish I had. I think these Deutsch DT connectors are really nice. They have a flange Mount version that could be mounted to the baffle. Iím using these for wing root connectors. They arenít cheap but they are good quality.

https://www.prowireusa.com/c-3-deuts...aspx?pagenum=3
These are nice connectors but the temperature specs listed here are not believable. Looks like multiple typos...

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 422 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 12-11-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
These are nice connectors but the temperature specs listed here are not believable. Looks like multiple typos...
Looks like they missed the decimal points. Maybe -55.0C to +125.0C ?

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004) - Sold
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk

Vice President EAA Chapter 245
Old 12-12-2017, 04:53 AM

The TE connectivity site agrees with -55 to 125C which is the same on the high end as the weather pack connectors that come with the SDS harness and better on the low temperature end. Weatherpack connectors are listed as -40 to +125C. It seems like they should work.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 AM

Anybody running their RPM line through a G3X system (GEA24)? I have the pickup on the right mag wired to RPM 1, and the RPM output from the SDS CPI box wired to RPM 2. What config settings do you use?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:04 AM

I am at the point of installing the spark plugs. What is the best way to install the adapters? With the plugs in, or install the adapters first?

I've test fitted the adapters, and they start meeting resistance much sooner than I expected. The aviation plugs have very little until they are tight against the head, ready for torquing. Is the resistance with the (brass?) adapters by design? I don't want to destroy the threads in the head. Also, torque values?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:21 AM

Since the thread sizes are different, these 2 parts require different torque values. We torque in the adapters first at 25 ft/lbs, followed by the plugs at 18. Use only a small dab of anti seize, don't coat the threads.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 422 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 07-06-2018, 07:50 PM

OK, getting very close to first run / timing. I am running a split system, retaining the non-impulse right mag, and using the SDS CPI as the left ignition source. The CPI fires all top plugs.

1. I find the supplied documentation to be vague. It needs to be written in a format that holds the hands of dumb / non gear-head pilots like me. A step-wise procedure, sorta like what NASA does for their evolutions would be ideal.

2. What should the timing be for the right mag? 25 BTC?

3. I am deathly afraid of the first start up and kick back. Is this rational?

4. I've ordered this timing light from Amazon. Sufficient?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Has anyone made of YouTube video of their timing procedure? I've seen some photos of TDC markers / wires, but in my case, the baffling will interfere with setups I've seen. I'm still trying to engineer a solution.

Anybody with experience please chime in with photos / videos!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Set the mag to fire at data plate values, but make sure it is not active on the starter.

Timing marks for the CPI can be placed anywhere convenient. Just put the engine on TDC (or 10, or 20, or whatever degrees), then add a pointer in a convenient location, and mark the ring gear.

If you want to give me a call I'm happy to walk you through it. Send me a PM and I'll shoot you the contact info.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 07-06-2018, 09:09 PM

Sealing the aluminum mag hole cover: Permatex Red RTV OK? - or a mag gasket?

Last edited by maus92 : 07-06-2018 at 09:36 PM.