What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pg 54-04; Flap Position Pushrod

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Dropping in my wiring harness this week, going pretty good.

A little snag, not insurmountable, but looking for a better strategy than pulling out my flap linkage.

On page 54-04 it calls for drilling a hole for the flap position pushrod in a specific place at the base of the horn.

Since mine is already installed, there's no angle to get to that position. Possibly, perhaps, I could do it with the horn down in the forward position routing my drill inside one of the ribs.

However, if there is an easier way or an alternate location to install the rod I would appreciate the advice, I'm not sure how the POS-12 flap position sensor is calibrated to that length or if that calibration is adjustable.

Looks like it's the Ray Allen sensor, can be installed any way that gets the arm from 0-100%, assuming I assign values in my EFIS to the various percentages, makes sense.

Check out Plan Gotchas post on 9/6/17

I posted a thread in Plan Gotchas on 9/6/17 where I recorded what I found and had to do - same issue.

In regards to the flap position indicator I have to say, "enough is enough"
It is easy, I mean really easy to just look outside and see where the flaps are positioned relative to the aileron. For me I used "three screws" When I could see three screws on the aileron i knew the flaps were half deployed. Then the other positions became, all the way down and all the way up.
I like doodads as much as the next guy but a flap position indicator is just additional weight and complexity.
A "count" of 15 would give me full flaps, a count of 7 gives half flaps or if you need a visual, the three "screws. Or if you really need something else then put a stripe on the end of the aileron.

In regards to the flap position indicator I have to say, "enough is enough"
It is easy, I mean really easy to just look outside and see where the flaps are positioned relative to the aileron. For me I used "three screws" When I could see three screws on the aileron i knew the flaps were half deployed. Then the other positions became, all the way down and all the way up.
I like doodads as much as the next guy but a flap position indicator is just additional weight and complexity.
A "count" of 15 would give me full flaps, a count of 7 gives half flaps or if you need a visual, the three "screws. Or if you really need something else then put a stripe on the end of the aileron.

:D Well, I'd prefer a bar to actuate the flaps but Vans didn't give me that option but what I did get was a sensor, it's got a place, and Stein went through the trouble of wiring it up for me so ... :p

Last edited:
I used a 90 degree drill and drilled it in place

What did you use that fit?

Some of the ones I'm looking at give me the impression I may end up with a broken drill bit in a part.

Drill

I used a standard pneumatic 90 degree drill. I don't know the brand name.

I just went out to the hangar it is a Rockwell pneumatic 90 degree drill. There is one on ebay right now for $75

Last edited:
@M McGraw thanks!

Wow! These things new are expensive. The cheapest I found was ATS brand at $250 and the Sioux for $450!

Cutting bit shank

The shanks are pretty hard, making them hard to shorten - you have to sacrifice a long drill bit because the short ones are hard to hold while you shorten them.

Then you have to re-point them, and being very short they are difficult to hold on to. And, you need to be good at getting a cutting point back on them.

I tried this and because I am not good at re-pointing drill bits using a belt sander I was not very successful.

I ended up resorting to pulling the flap extender assembly out to drill that hole, it took some time, you don't have to buy the right angle drill (I do have one and tried to drill it that way but it was hard to get the hole right where I wanted it), and you can drill the hole right where you want to.

Last edited:
I just ended up removing the part and drilling normally. It took all of maybe 45 minutes. I tried way to hard to avoid it, it was trivial, I just hate going backwards.

Back