Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I have to agree with Jim. I learned to fly in a Cessna 150. My instructor taught me to fly it like a taildragger. i.e. "If it is possible to get the nose wheel off the ground, it shouldn't be on the ground!"
Mel, that's good pay-it-forward advice.

I got a flight review in a 152. I'd never flown one before. Third landing, the non-tailwheel CFI exclaimed "You don't need to get the nose that high in the air!". I explained it was less pitch than a typical three point. He was curious, so we went and flew my Cub. That's when I found he had also never flown a stick. It's all new to somebody.

Paul, good rules, although I'd temper the one about brakes. They gotta learn to use them sooner or later. It's just another skill.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:09 PM

Hey all,
I agree, these really do apply to tricycle gear, too. Most tailwheel students show up with 152 or 172 time, and none of these habits well developed. As Dan's example illustrates, even a lot of CFIs have never thought about ground handling from this perspective.

Also, a fair point about the staying off the brakes. You're absolutely right, you've got to learn about proper braking at some point. I stress these rules when a new student first shows up, and then we adapt from there.

Obviously, these aren't absolutes, but "the five suggestions to be applied at your discretion" didn't have the same ring to it ;-)

Anyway, it's all good discussion. Any other pointers that you would include when introducing somebody to tailwheel (or teaching ground handling properly)?
1974 Bonanza V35B because n+1
2017 VAF dues paid! (recurring monthly payment setup)
Old 11-22-2017, 07:50 PM

I was a back seater student on a 172 flight with my instructor and a buddy up front. When the airplane squatted back on the tail and started grinding on the rear tie down ring, my buddy started to let the nose down by releasing back pressure. The instructor swatted him and firmly corrected him to NEVER release full back pressure until the wheel comes down by itself. He corrected to full aft pressure, and the nose didn't come down until we nearly came to a halt on the runway.

I'm still not convinced that he was overkilling the lesson a little, but on every landing we ever did in the C140, he was *always* saying "Full stall, full aft on the stick until it stops flying".

That was 25 years ago, and I still hear him in my head on every landing. He said it would save my life - it must be working

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Mel, that's good pay-it-forward advice.

I got a flight review in a 152. I'd never flown one before. Third landing, the non-tailwheel CFI exclaimed "You don't need to get the nose that high in the air!". I explained it was less pitch than a typical three point. He was curious, so we went and flew my Cub. That's when I found he had also never flown a stick. It's all new to somebody.

Paul, good rules, although I'd temper the one about brakes. They gotta learn to use them sooner or later. It's just another skill.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:56 AM

From old pilot perspective, excellent introduction to flying.
Wish I had seen something like that in beginning.
Good luck developing your training system, it will work for TW or NW.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 11-23-2017, 12:27 PM

I got my early training in a John Deere 4440 pulling a 9 row lister! The markers left a small centerline mark and I wanted the straightest rows in the county! The outside busters would catch a little more dirt every so often and pull you in that direction just like a crosswind does to the rudder. The only way to keep your rows straight would be to tap that opposite brake to stay straight! I had thousands of hours of training before I ever considered getting my pilots license!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Build Blog http://mikesrv7.blogspot.com/
Dues Paid