Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2018, 11:58 AM

Default Anyone have any good data on cyl head porting for the io320?

Iím just looking into possibilities of more HP from porting the cyl heads.

Engine is just a big air pump, but there doesnít seem to be the info out there as compared to automotive engines.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Lycon provides porting and polishing services. They may have some numbers.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 03-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

LyCon has done a lot of work with the ports.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-13-2018, 12:19 PM

I flow benched some Lyc 540 heads many years ago and they were quite poor compared to most decent automotive stuff. The intake flowed around 136 SCFM at .400 valve lift at 10 inches H20 with a 2.2 inch valve. Considering that it's trying to fill a 90 cubic inch cylinder, that not so good.

I'm sure some gains could be made in the valve guide area at least.

Lycon probably knows all the tricks that work...

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 420 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 03-13-2018, 12:36 PM

http://www.lycon.com/tech-docs.html
Click on the cylinder porting article.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
I flow benched some Lyc 540 heads many years ago and they were quite poor compared to most decent automotive stuff. The intake flowed around 136 SCFM at .400 valve lift at 10 inches H20 with a 2.2 inch valve. Considering that it's trying to fill a 90 cubic inch cylinder, that not so good.

I'm sure some gains could be made in the valve guide area at least.

Lycon probably knows all the tricks that work...
Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 PM

Default Lycon

Lycon can do this on their 5-axis CNC machine. When I had my O-360 cylinders done 8 years ago (sheesh! Time flies!) when I toured their facility they said they were no longer even flow bench testing the cylinders after they came off the CNC machine since they were always the same. I don't know what flow numbers they got at what lift. I do know they leave the surface fairly rough looking from the ball end mill that they use because the surface roughness actually helped flow and fuel atomization.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:37 PM

No need to flow bench heads once you know what profile you want and the CNC can duplicate identically over and over.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 420 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 03-13-2018, 05:41 PM

Wilson manifolds found years ago that wet flow (carberated) engines liked a rougher floor to keep fuel in suspension through turbulence. I was hoping some guys were doing home porting and had ideas as to how to increase flow at low lift numbers.

We have relatively low RPM engines so the way the cylinders are ported has to optimize these characteristics. Iím sure lycon has it down, and I donít know the cost but maybe itís worth it. On my cars Iíve always done my own porting after doing a ton of research. however. I havenít been able to locate much for research materials probably because on certified airplanes people arent porting their own heads.

Anyway figured with all the DIY going on here surely some people are porting and getting more HP from the ole lycoming Iíd rather move more air through the engine than up the compression or spin it higher (my prop is a limiting factor for RPM) and risk higher temps and detonation.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclops View Post
http://www.lycon.com/tech-docs.html
Click on the cylinder porting article.

Ed Holyoke
Thank you for the lycon info Iím going to read through it.

Some people have more money than time and some have more time than money, unfortunately I fall into the latter group 🤔.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 PM

I hear that. I don't seem to have either, maybe 'cos I spend all of each on the airplane.
Back in ought 12, LyCon was charging $250/cylinder for the CNC porting job.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo69bird View Post
Thank you for the lycon info Iím going to read through it.

Some people have more money than time and some have more time than money, unfortunately I fall into the latter group 🤔.