- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2018, 04:50 AM

Hello,

For those considering a G3X/G3X Touch system, also don't forget the great value on the GTN 625 WAAS IFR navigator.

If you buy the GTN 625 with a G3X system, you qualify for a special price (through June 29, 2018) of $5,675 which includes the installation rack, connectors, SD card and WAAS GPS antenna.

Seems like a good time to also mention that the GTN Garmin Navigation Database pricing for the U.S. is $299/yr. IFR flying is never cheap, but with the GTN 625 providing legal single navigator IFR enroute and WAAS LPV precision approach capability into thousands of runways, this is a pretty attractive solution for EAB. The GTN 625 also provides the ADS-B+ position source data needed by all Garmin (and some other) ADS-B Out capable transponders.

With a G3X Touch system, you don't need the IFR navigator to have a big display. All of the flight plans and approaches loaded on the GTN are large and easy to read on the G3X Touch displays. The IFR navigator just needs to primarily load/activate approaches and provide navigation guidance.

A G3X Touch system with a GTN navigator also supports autopilot coupled one button missed approach activation. Here is a link to a video demonstrating this incredible capability.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:48 AM

I recently went thru this deciding process and finally pulled the trigger in Nov. Now I'm deep into wiring it all together. I can tell you the first and foremost thing you need to decide is not what EFIS, but as Iron said, its the IFR navigator. Thats the central "brain" for your IFR panel. Spend all your current time deciding that, then go play with it, use the simulators, buy manuals and learning books or s/w and have at it for a good month. That'll shape you more into what you really want/need in an EFIS than looking at the YouTube pretty lights.

Then once youve got that down, you must go play with the EFIS' themselves. I can tell you that once I did that, my opinion of my 1,2,3 choices, flipped in order, and entirely because of tactile feel and ability of my eyes and brain to understand what was being displayed. They all do the same job, and all do it fabulously well. But the one you want is the one that speaks to you; at this stage in display development, its the subtle things that make you like something or irritate you. Moreover, somethings you think are important to you based on Youtube, you may find out are not. Keep an open mind, and go with your gut, what everyone else says be damned. PM me if youd like chat more about what I went with and why (I cant seem to get pictures to work on this site no matter what I try). Good luck!

.....oh BTW 30k is the right number to plan on..............
N251Y (res)
Dec2017

Last edited by maniago : 03-12-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:11 AM

I have struggled with this, and continue to do so. I really want to fall in love with something other than Garmin, especially since I think that the others are more likely to give me options like a real HUD someday, but it's hard to do. When I price out my IFR panel, Dynon comes in a little more than Garmin and with less convenience of use.

I am planning to have a G3X Touch system with a 10.6" MFD on the right side, 10.6" PFD with SiriusXM on the left side, a secondary ADAHRS, two-axis autopilot (I'm still torn on yaw damper in this plane), a G5 backup instrument, heated/regulated pitot tube, GTX 45R transponder, GTR 20 remote radio, GMA 245 audio panel (nice to have real knobs for quick volume adjustments when passenger talks too loud into the mic), and a GTN 650 navigator. With this setup, I can plan my flight on my iPad, get into the plane, transfer from the iPad to the GTN 650, and fly my plan almost entirely from the PFD, including changing radio and transponder settings on the way.

If things start to fail, there is a backup for nearly everything in the plane that will automatically get the data it needs from other sources before they fail. For example, I believe that my altimeter setting in the G3X will propagate to the G5. Less stuff to keep me busy means more brain power for other tasks and less chance of forgetting to set the backup instruments up and only finding my mistake when the PFD and MFD both fail and the backup instrument takes me directly into a mountainside.

With other manufacturers, there is bound to be less integration and thus more workload to keep everything in sync. I am still a long way out from spending actual money to buy actual avionics, so I will keep trying to change my mind. I am excited to go to Oshkosh this year and let the professionals try to help change my mind, too. I just can't at this point see myself paying more money for less integration in the cockpit.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default Good choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I have struggled with this, and continue to do so. I really want to fall in love with something other than Garmin, especially since I think that the others are more likely to give me options like a real HUD someday, but it's hard to do. When I price out my IFR panel, Dynon comes in a little more than Garmin and with less convenience of use.

I am planning to have a G3X Touch system with a 10.6" MFD on the right side, 10.6" PFD with SiriusXM on the left side, a secondary ADAHRS, two-axis autopilot (I'm still torn on yaw damper in this plane), a G5 backup instrument, heated/regulated pitot tube, GTX 45R transponder, GTR 20 remote radio, GMA 245 audio panel (nice to have real knobs for quick volume adjustments when passenger talks too loud into the mic), and a GTN 650 navigator. With this setup, I can plan my flight on my iPad, get into the plane, transfer from the iPad to the GTN 650, and fly my plan almost entirely from the PFD, including changing radio and transponder settings on the way.

If things start to fail, there is a backup for nearly everything in the plane that will automatically get the data it needs from other sources before they fail. For example, I believe that my altimeter setting in the G3X will propagate to the G5. Less stuff to keep me busy means more brain power for other tasks and less chance of forgetting to set the backup instruments up and only finding my mistake when the PFD and MFD both fail and the backup instrument takes me directly into a mountainside.

With other manufacturers, there is bound to be less integration and thus more workload to keep everything in sync. I am still a long way out from spending actual money to buy actual avionics, so I will keep trying to change my mind. I am excited to go to Oshkosh this year and let the professionals try to help change my mind, too. I just can't at this point see myself paying more money for less integration in the cockpit.
Canít quite fathom why youíre trying to find something other than Garmin. Youíve exactly described the panel Iíve been paid to put in as an upgrade in either an RV or Lancair, 15 times over the last 5 years.

The X team at Garmin are head and shoulders above the others pertaining to support.

A familiar voice in tech support at Dynon is now at Garmin.

Try to get anyone to even answer the phone during normal business hours at GRT.

My experience and my 2 cents!

Redline Air Shows
http://www.redlineairshows.com

Upgrade your RV from "Steam" to "Glass"
http://www.redlinethegoal.com
Old 03-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthocker View Post
.....typical grenade chucked without looking. Not been my experience......ever.
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 03-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post

If you buy the GTN 625 with a G3X system, you qualify for a special price (through June 29, 2018) of $5,675 which includes the installation rack, connectors, SD card and WAAS GPS antenna.
Cannot help myself from stating it again, If we could only have a similar deal on a 650 it would be a done deal

I hope it will change soon but for now, ILS is a must in most parts of Europe.
RV-14 kit #140138
working on FW forward and finish kit
wings, tail kit and fuselage basically done
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 03-12-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control View Post
Cannot help myself from stating it again, If we could only have a similar deal on a 650 it would be a done deal

I hope it will change soon but for now, ILS is a must in most parts of Europe.
Is there a remote Garmin Nav/Comm with ILS?
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Canít quite fathom why youíre trying to find something other than Garmin. Youíve exactly described the panel Iíve been paid to put in as an upgrade in either an RV or Lancair, 15 times over the last 5 years.

The X team at Garmin are head and shoulders above the others pertaining to support.

A familiar voice in tech support at Dynon is now at Garmin.

It took me 2 minutes on my phone to find the serial data format for the Dynon EFIS, which is easily enough to feed the attitude portion of a HUD. I canít find similar information for Garmin. Itís my years of working with open source software that makes me prefer things I can interface with, whether or not I ever take advantage of the possibility.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
It took me 2 minutes on my phone to find the serial data format for the Dynon EFIS, which is easily enough to feed the attitude portion of a HUD. I can’t find similar information for Garmin. It’s my years of working with open source software that makes me prefer things I can interface with, whether or not I ever take advantage of the possibility.
Super easy to find...

Info starts on page C-1 of rev. AE of the installation manual.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 03-12-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Canít quite fathom why youíre trying to find something other than Garmin.

As I said, everyone loves what they bought (or sell).
But IMHO it should stop short of slander. There was a time when phone support at GRT was spotty. But that has not been the case for years now.