Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Taxiing the Tip up partial open.

I just purchased an RV-7 tip up (previous RV-6 slider owner) and was looking for ideas on how to support the canopy partially open while taxiing. Itís only March and I can tell itís going to be brutal in the Texas summers.
Purchased flying RV-7
Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 PM

Default Open tip up

Not sure if the 7 has the same handle for lucking on the roll bar as the 6. If it does, I just open the canopy, place the handle as if locked and rest it on the roll bar. Not as much air as an open slider but it does make a considerable difference.
Dues Paid
Old 03-06-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeman View Post
I just purchased an RV-7 tip up (previous RV-6 slider owner) and was looking for ideas on how to support the canopy partially open while taxiing. Itís only March and I can tell itís going to be brutal in the Texas summers.
Another tip: configure the safety handle such that it still locks with multiple layers of shrink tubing on the tab that will rest on top of the roll bar while you taxi....
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 PM
been here awhile

Here is a photo I found in the VAF archives of a tip-up in the taxi position:

Once the fan is blowing a lot of air moves through the canopy, TX summers will be OK.

Enjoy your new RV!

P.S. I managed to take-off once during the chaos of S-N-F departures with the canopy propped open....the blast of air felt fantastic until I realized I wasn't supposed to be feeling a blast of air.....the canopy will ride about 6" open and can be pulled back shut if you slow to flap speed....forget closing it at cruise speed.....

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 03-06-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Default Fly the airplane

Sam, that is good information, I saw the results of a pilot trying to turn back to the field in a hurry because he took off with his canopy opened. The plane was a write off but he survived. I have taken off with the side lock in the unlocked position and was able to lock it once I slowed down. I aborted take off once when I started the roll and realized the canopy was still not locked at all. Just to confirm, there was no adverse flying conditions caused by the opened canopy nor any damaged caused by the open canopy.

We all like to think it can't happen to me, but it does and it is good to know the results prior to it happening.
Dues Paid
Old 03-07-2018, 01:08 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY6 View Post
Sam, that is good information, I saw the results of a pilot trying to turn back to the field in a hurry because he took off with his canopy opened. The plane was a write off but he survived. I have taken off with the side lock in the unlocked position and was able to lock it once I slowed down. I aborted take off once when I started the roll and realized the canopy was still not locked at all. Just to confirm, there was no adverse flying conditions caused by the opened canopy nor any damaged caused by the open canopy.

We all like to think it can't happen to me, but it does and it is good to know the results prior to it happening.
I found out after the fact that I should have slowed the plane more, I was climbing out in a mass departure and was not yet at cruise speed. But the canopy was so hard to close (115 kts?) that I thought the latch would be damaged. But it was fine with no trim problems while flying with the canopy riding open.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Slow to flap speed and lower the flaps to close the canopy helps a lot. Changes the airflow angle over the canopy.
Tri Pacer/Pacer conversion (sold)
RV-4 kit (sold)
Pitts S-2A (sold)
RV-6 (sold)
Christen Eagle project (sold)
Pitts S-2B (sold)
Laser 230 (flying)
RV-6 project (sold)
RV-6 (flying again)
Old 03-07-2018, 05:53 PM

I had a tip up on my 6, and I cut a notch in the forward face of the roll bar that allowed the aft portion of the latch to rotate "into" and lock the canopy open several inches.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 170+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub skis floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred.Stucklen View Post
Another tip: configure the safety handle such that it still locks with multiple layers of shrink tubing on the tab that will rest on top of the roll bar while you taxi....
That is some goodly advice, thank you!

And yes, people, the tip up flies just fine with the canopy unlatched, just a little different. BE A PILOT! FLY the airplane, don't panic!
RV-6A bought flying
Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 PM

Default My latch

had always worried about my canopy blowing open while taxing so a couple years ago I made this upper latch modification for my 6a. After seeing the "canopy incident" on this forum that occurred in Switzerland I'm glad I did. If you haven't seen the accident in Switzerland do a search for canopy incident

First picture is latch in taxi mode with nice airflow and second one is latch ready for takeoff.

First picture so I hope it works.

http://tgi.com/sites/default/files/s...?itok=_xx67Q6Z

http://tgi.com/sites/default/files/s...?itok=U9WrwdDE
I hope these old links work if not see below.

If you are interested in more info call me at 303-772.2202 or emailing me at klmoexpogmail.com

Dave