Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2018, 07:23 AM

One of the common links to the crazing problem is the use of Weldon. I realized this early on when I joined this forum and started reading all the posts about it. No way would I go near the stuff building my RV-10. When I had my C-152, I replaced all the transparencies and had to fabricate and install a thick plexi mounting block for the compass. I used Weldon to glue the block to the windscreen and within a couple months crazing started to develop under the mounting block. Sickening to see all my hard work and money I spent for the new windscreen being slowly blemished by a glue! When I was in the Canard camp, the Rutan method of bedding the transparencies in thick epoxy/flox mix, then topping with a couple layers of BID tape was the standard installation process. I never read a report of this leading to crazing, and the Cozy MKIV transparencies look as good today as the day we installed them almost 15 years ago. That's how I installed the transparencies in my RV-10, and I am confident the the new owner will never need to replace them for crazing reasons.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018

Last edited by 9GT : 03-01-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:32 AM

The only instances of crazing I have seen with the use of Weldon was when localized pressure was induced by the use of clamps.

Weldon was originally chosen, not because it was the only thing that would work, but because that is what Lancair used on the ES and 4P at the time.

It was assumed that if it was good enough for a pressurized aircraft it would be good for the RV-10.

Static load tests of the cabin top proved that the strong bond produced by the Weldon provided structural benefits for cabin integrity (further evidenced by the need for a router to remove a wind screen or side window).

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-01-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
The only instances of crazing I have seen with the use of Weldon was when localized pressure was induced by the use of clamps.

Weldon was originally chosen, not because it was the only thing that would work, but because that is what Lancair used on the ES and 4P at the time.

It was assumed that if it was good enough for a pressurized aircraft it would be good for the RV-10.

Static load tests of the cabin top proved that the strong bond produced by the Weldon provided structural benefits for cabin integrity (further evidenced by the need for a router to remove a wind screen or side window).
No clamps or anything when I glued the two plexi pieces together yet it still crazed. Any ideas why?

Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
No clamps or anything when I glued the two plexi pieces together yet it still crazed. Any ideas why?
No
Other than maybe the FAA has more influence than we could ever imagine, when changes are made to Certificated aircraft, that weren't part of the original type certificate?

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-01-2018, 12:57 PM

For a good tutorial on how to install windshields using Silpruf sealant, a product similar to Sikaflex, go to youtube and search on "Glastar windshield installation". There is a series of videos on this topic, narrated by Zach Chase of Fibertech Composites of Stuart, Florida. He's a master of the technique.

By the way, this technique has been used on many Glasair aircraft, including the low-wing Glasairs, Glastars and the Sportsman. So far there has been one reported failure of the adhesive bond, and that failure has been attributed (by the aircraft builder himself) to the use of Silpruf which was within the last few days of its shelf life.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
No
Other than maybe the FAA has more influence than we could ever imagine, when changes are made to Certificated aircraft, that weren't part of the original type certificate?
Actually these were type certificated parts and the Weldon was specified and supplied by the manufacturer of the windscreen for installing the compass mount that came with it. I just needed to modify the compass mount taht was supplied by the mfg. because it required a bit of modification to fit the really cool SIRS mounting holes pattern. The mount did not craze, just the windscreen. The crazing started under the mount/glue location and slowly spread to about an inch beyond the mount. One of the common denominators of crazing is the use of Weldon. May or may not be builder/application error but I wouldn't touch that stuff again with a 10' pole after my experience. And I followed manufacturers instructions to the letter.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
Carol said she wouldn't go to Alaska with me this summer unless I replaced it. Too much beautiful scenery to miss.
I hope you'll be sharing a complete trip report with the rest of us(?)
In the garage for now, KJVY this summer...this fall...whenever they finish building the hangar
Old 03-05-2018, 08:06 AM

Nine years (installed mid-2008) and 1050 hours and my windscreen still looks pretty much like new. Used Weldon and followed Vans instructions very carefully. Plexus has been used almost exclusively for cleaning.
VAF Paid 1/10/2018

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Last edited by dmaib : 03-05-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:32 PM

Default windshield replacement

I had to replace mine. I have the process I used on my web site.
http://www.nwacaptain.com/windshield.html

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:51 PM

Default possible cause of crazing

We contacted LP Aero plastics regarding the crazing on our RV10 windshield. They said the cause was the use of automobile reflective inserts on the inside of the plexiglass. They said there is a chemical reaction from the materials in the sunshields that causes the crazing.

Even Bruce's custom cover's does not recommend the use of their internal sun shields for more than a couple of hours at a time..."We would only recommend using sun shields 'HeatShields' for temporary use during day trips or for a couple of hours at a time during a short layover. If used too frequently over time, the silver reflective surface can cause damage to your Plexiglas windscreen and laminated windshields as it traps heat in between your glass and the HeatShield."