VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-26-2018, 03:40 PM

Home Depot has some 3M stuff that is used for outdoor stair steps. It has a reflective strip in one side which is easily removed. I have it on my Rocket and it wears very well. When I repaint I'll probably go that way again.

About $6 IIRC.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Home Depot has some 3M stuff that is used for outdoor stair steps. It has a reflective strip in one side which is easily removed. I have it on my Rocket and it wears very well. When I repaint I'll probably go that way again.

About $6 IIRC.
+1 3M also makes a type without the reflective strip. I have used it until it is time to paint. Looks good, works good too. It can be removed with a heat gun and residual cleaned with mineral spirits. [validated]

I'll probably use the Vans pieces with the model number after paint. I have them ready.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
1st Flight 1-27-18
2017 Dues Paid
Old 02-27-2018, 05:54 AM

Hereís what I did with some of the stick on material. Itís held up well for over 5 years and 1,000 hours. The pattern leaves the screws accessible, feet off the tanks, and no problem with the wing root covers.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uth3vtbf3a...20AM.jpeg?dl=0
Old 02-28-2018, 08:46 AM

Skateboard tape for almost 10 years, still looks new. I got mine free from the local shop because it was the end of a big roll and apparently not enough to do an entire board. Should come off fairly easily with some heat, but I've never tried (or needed) to remove it.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:52 AM

My painter just added sand (or something similar) to some black PPG paint and painted my wing walks on. Works great. Prior to my paint job I used the Home Depot 3M tape on the wings and steps and it worked just fine too.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 02-28-2018 at 08:54 AM.