- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Is gas stealing really a concern? Dude where do you live!😜

I guess I canít throw stones. I thought I lived in a nice neighborhood until one day the DEA knocked at my door and asked if they could install a web camera to surveillance the drug transshipment house across the street! ó You canít make this stuff up!
For me it wasn't about theft, I just do not like the Vans standard caps. These locking caps work well, seal well and don't need constant fiddling with. Haven't talked to anyone that made the change that isn't happy with the decision?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Locking replacement for Usher cap?

This one claims to be a replacement for the standard Usher cap which, I think, is the one we have on the 12.

From the picture it looks like it will simply replace the standard cap without having to modify the filler neck. Seems a bit over priced but has anyone tried this one on the RV-12 filler neck?
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 02-27-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_T View Post
This one claims to be a replacement for the standard Usher cap which, I think, is the one we have on the 12.

From the picture it looks like it will simply replace the standard cap without having to modify the filler neck. Seems a bit over priced but has anyone tried this one on the RV-12 filler neck?
The ring around the outside of the cap is an insert that has to be bonded into the original cap flange, so it does change the size of the opening as previously mentioned.

If you install this on an RV-12, make darn sure that the fuel tank vent upgrade has been completed.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-27-2018, 01:34 PM

Would this be the same one from Vans at a lower price?

1 Retrofit Locking Fuel Cap
Part Number = FUEL CAP RETRO
Price = $65.00
QuantitySubmit
Old 02-27-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larco View Post
Would this be the same one from Vans at a lower price?

1 Retrofit Locking Fuel Cap
Part Number = FUEL CAP RETRO
Price = $65.00
QuantitySubmit
Not sure, but the one from Van's installs in the same manner so it is very possible.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 02-27-2018, 01:50 PM

They look different to me. I'm saying this by looking carefully at the pictures, not that I have had the parts in hand to study.

Pretty sure the AC Spruce retro fit is made to be pro sealed into the existing filler neck. It appears the one Van's sells would need a whole new filler neck.

It looks like the main caveat is what Scott says, you will have to have the tank vent system installed because this locking cap is unvented. Also, you will have to be OK with the reduction in filler opening size to 1-3/8".

I have done the vent upgrade, so I'm going to order this thing from ACS and will update in this thread what I find out. They have a return policy, so if it looks like it won't be suitable for some reason, I'll be able to return it.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 02-27-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
They look different to me. I'm saying this by looking carefully at the pictures, not that I have had the parts in hand to study.

Pretty sure the AC Spruce retro fit is made to be pro sealed into the existing filler neck. It appears the one Van's sells would need a whole new filler neck.
The product description on Van's web site

These fuel caps will fit in the original kit tank flange to provide a locking cap on a completed tank. Requires some tank sealant (MC-236-B2 Ĺ) to bond a new flange within the old flange. Will reduce the opening size, so larger gas nozzles may not fit (most are OK). New diameter is 1 3/8".

Keep in mind the photo on Van's site is likely very old. What you would receive might look exactly like the ACS photo.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 02-27-2018, 02:15 PM

OK, thanks, got the message. I have ordered the ACS one and will advise here how that one works. If someone orders the one from Van's and reports, then we will have all the data needed for the guys interested in a locking cap.

Hopefully, the guys living in far corners of the world can then order something with confidence and not incur a lot of extra shipping costs for returns.
RV-12 #202 -- Flying

Last edited by Tony_T : 02-27-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:16 PM

The Vans are pro sealed in as well and if you look at the keys, they appear to be the same brand. Have installed a few of Vans and the Andair brand which are almost identical.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Hopefully, the guys living in far corners of the world can then order something with confidence and not incur a lot of extra shipping costs for returns.
Above and beyond the call Tony. Many thanks!