Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-24-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Perhaps you are trying to push the pins in, not pull them out - or you have not got them unlocked from whatever pin retainer the builder made. Put your phone in the oil door and take a photo to see what is going on. Once you get them out, add a drop of oil on the pins to make it easier next time. Just a drop!

You’ll figure it out. Don’t mess it up with cam locks.

Carl
Am pulling not pushing, there's no pin retainers, the ends which are rather long and have a rough 90deg bend on them are hanging out in the breeze. Upon closer inspection they have several marks on them, looks like they have been handled with pliers.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:33 PM

Paul the aircraft was checked out completely by the engineer and myself but not de-cowling due to time constraints. The previous owner never touched the plane maint wise, he had the same engineer for 16 years. I won't be bothering him anyway, he only sold due serious medical issues and I respect his privacy.

Last edited by Capt : 02-24-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:40 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
Paul the aircraft was checked out completely by the engineer and myself but not de-cowling due to time constraints. The previous owner never touched the plane maint wise, he had the same engineer for 16 years. I won't be bothering him anyway, he only sold due serious medical issues and I respect his privacy.
OK - I get that you don;t want to bother the previous owner. But I have to tell you I am surprised that you’d think that the engineer (that’s your word for a mechanic...right?) checked out the aircraft “completely” without removing the cowling. Half the things that go wrong with airplanes are under the cowl - so if you haven;t looked under there, I’d suggest that you find a local RV owner/builder that can help you get teh cowl off and see what you’ve got.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-25-2018, 02:52 AM

The engineer(mechanic in yr world) knows the a/c thoroughly as he has maintained it for the last 16 years in a row so yes was checked out thoroughly over time. It had not flown since he last completed the annual inspection so removing the cowls at the time I was checking it out wasn't needed nor did he have the time on the day. Anyway that's getting off track with what I'm trying to learn here, cowl removal and which way to hold ones tongue whilst cussing !!

Last edited by Capt : 02-25-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
Am pulling not pushing, there's no pin retainers, the ends which are rather long and have a rough 90deg bend on them are hanging out in the breeze. Upon closer inspection they have several marks on them, looks like they have been handled with pliers.
My -4 was completed in 1991 and has around 1100 hours on it. I still have to use Vice Grip (locking) pliers whenever I remove/replace the pins. On a friend's -8, he (an OCD hobbyist machinist) threaded the ends of the side pins (unreachable when fully inserted) and made a female-threaded adapter to capture them so he could pull them. The top port side pin he left long enough to chuck in a drill, so he could spin it in and out.

Point being, if they slide in and out with zero effort, it's either absolutely perfect, or the fitment is way too loose. (2nd one would be way more likely.)

Grab it with a pair of Vice Grips , or chuck it in a cordless drill.

Charlie
Old 02-25-2018, 08:08 AM

For what its worth on my 6 i have best luck standing on a sturdy stool seems to give me a better angle to reach in and pull the pins and install them
Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 AM

Finally got my cowls off today for the first time since I bought the beast, now I know why I've seen a few with screws all round! I'd hate to be doing that on a reg basis, thank Christ I had a mate give me a hand. The bottom cowl was easy with another pair of hands the top cowl however is another matter ! lots of lube on the wire/hinge to put them back, doubt I'll be pulling them again anytime soon!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:08 AM

Could you try pins from wire a little smaller in dia? If that doesn’t help, I would change to screws and nut plates or cam fasteners. If you can go with smaller wire, be sure it is secured so that it won’t work out. The cowl needs to be easy to remove because you should look under there often. Check for leaks, fluid and exhaust, chaffed wires, alternator belt, engine mount cracks and others.

Last edited by wilddog : 03-16-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:02 PM

Yes I understand re looking under the hood, have owned a few planes now over years but this is my first where it's a pain in the butt! Fortunately it's very clean under the hood on this 8, lots of $$$$ spent on this bird! I can see why paint gets chipped off at the cowl edges, not the smartest idea I've seen for cowl mounting.
I will see if I can get some smaller diam wire. & put a point on the ends.