- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomww View Post
A wise choice I think.

Without getting into never ending hair splitting. I simply enjoy the climb I get from my MT prop on a 200HP RV7. Lots of climb and landing performance at a cost. My choice to go that way. Others like FP and thatís fine for them.

I donít find a penalty on speed or cruise.

Are you sure you need an MT12? Is there a smaller MT for up to 180HP?
Thanks for that info. Yes, this is the prop model that both Van's recommends for the RV-9A with 160 hp IO-320, and MT also lists the same prop for that engine on their website. My primary concerns, or apprehensions, are that we put an MT on the IO-360 powered Cozy MKIV my buddy and I built, and it had to go in for overhaul at about 100 hours due to loose blades. Now let me clarify this,,,, that prop was purchased new at least 10 years ago, so when it went to Tiffin Aire, they were able to warranty the hub/bearings and replaced them with something of a new beefier design. Blades were chewed up a bit so paid to have them fixed and repainted while they had it apart. Fast forward to a couple years ago and about 5 years of service on the overhauled prop, during a condition inspection at around 600 hours I found the blades were getting a lot of play,,,,,,Time for another overhaul but this time got at least got another 5 years and 500 hours on the prop. I don't know the model of this prop off hand other than its a 3 blade on a pusher. By now the blades were really chewed up and we had patched them up several times. Found a small patch were there was some de-lamination also. Back to Tiffin Aire and they did a fabulous job stripping the blades down and re-wrapping them and installing new nickel leading edges. Prop was like factory new when picked up. Again its an older prop model and on a pusher, so any prop on a pusher takes a beating from all kinds of FOD picked by the nose wheel and thrown through the prop no matter how careful you are. I am just thinking that I would rather spend a little bit more money for the MT with 2000 hour TBO as apposed to a slightly less expensive Whirl Wind with only 650 hour TBO.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 02-20-2018, 08:03 PM

OK. I thought the Whirl Wind was less than the MT but that's only the two blade model. They do not offer a 3 blade for the IO-320, just the 360/540. The 2 Blade Whirl Wind weighs 41# with spinner and the 3 blade MY weighs 43# with spinner. A LOT more weight than a 3 blade FP Catto!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
OK. I thought the Whirl Wind was less than the MT but that's only the two blade model. They do not offer a 3 blade for the IO-320, just the 360/540. The 2 Blade Whirl Wind weighs 41# with spinner and the 3 blade MY weighs 43# with spinner. A LOT more weight than a 3 blade FP Catto!
well who would have thought a more complicated prop would weigh more! Hold the front page!

You pays your money and makes the choice that suits you.

My 7 is about 1090 lbs with its heavy angle valve and LOT (it’s not really much heavier, but some like to try to be dramatic) heavier MT. With the weight up front the CoG is great. But no carpets and little paint etc etc end up with a light plane.

Hope the OP builds what he wants and is not unduly influenced by others prejudices.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:15 AM

This probably doesn't help you much...

but I had the MTV-12-D/180-17 3 blade on a Cessna 172 (Conti IO-360DB) That was the smoothest combination of any plane I have ever flown. Looks great too.
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Ordered the MT today from Tiffin Aire.