Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 PM

Default MT MTV12C/180-57 Propeller: Any PIREP(s)?

Searched the forum but could not find anything. Made my mind up and decided to sell the Sensenich FP that came with my RV-9A project before I even installed it and go with C/S. Done deal,,,its sold and gone. Van's has two MT props for the IO-320; a two blade MTV11C/183-59, and three blade MTV12C/180-57. The two blade is almost $2K less than the three blade, but only has a 1000 hour/72 month TBO, where the three blade is 2000 hour/72 month TBO. Looked at Whirl Wind RV200/300 series and although they are a bit less costly, their TBO is only 650 hours/72 months,,, so maybe penny wise and dollar foolish there. The Sensenich composite is out of the running due to its high cost and their aluminum two blade is ugly and 7 pounds heavier than the 3 blade MT. Anyone running the MTV12C/180-57 on their -9 with a PIREP? By the way, Tiffin Aire in Ohio quoted me a price better than Van's.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 AM

Having owned a 9 and currently running a MTV on my Lancair, I would put a Catto 3 blade with nickel leading edge on a 9 if I were building.

MT is smooth, helps climb, tolerates rain
MT is slower to adjust than hydraulic, sometimes has failed to adjust on mine, is slower than my 3 blade Catto was

On a plane like my Lancair that sucks up runway, a constant speed prop is a safety factor to help getting off the ground on short strips (3000 feet or so). On a plane like a 9 that climbs perfectly well on a cruise prop, it is added complexity and cost without enough benefit to justify the costs.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:29 AM

Even as a huge MT fan, I would tend to agree - if it is the electric one you are looking at, look again.

The hydraulic prop is much more practical, just more difficult to install maybe with ref to governor etc.

For fixed pitch replacement, I would agree with Catto or look at Prince P-Tip. I fly a 6 with a Prince prop - longer takeoff than ours naturally but when airborne - it's quicker ! Unloads on the climb and cruises really nicely.

Donated twice in 2017
Old 02-20-2018, 07:01 AM

No, the MT prop I am looking at is NOT electric, it is hydraulic pitch controlled. I am not really interested in entering the FP vs CS debate. Sure the -9 has great performance with a FP, but with a CS, I can get the best T/O performance AND the best cruise performance.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 02-20-2018, 07:10 AM

My mistake on the electric, sorry for that.

The 3 blade will be smooth, noticeably so. It would be my choice over a 2 blade. Not sure you will find the best cruise speed with a MT however.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 AM

I fly a friend's 160hp RV-9A with a 3-blade MT fairly often.

It is electric motor smooth.

I recently took it to a paint shop about 4 hours away, with a friend who dropped me off and I followed back with his 180hp RV-7 with a Hartzell BA.

On both legs I can keep up with him in climb, but he would slowly creep away in cruise. At our fuel stop and back home he would arrive less than 10 minutes ahead of me. Very negligible difference in XC speed in 2 hour legs.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORANE View Post
On a plane like my Lancair that sucks up runway, a constant speed prop is a safety factor to help getting off the ground on short strips (3000 feet or so). On a plane like a 9 that climbs perfectly well on a cruise prop, it is added complexity and cost without enough benefit to justify the costs.

Just my opinion.
I bought a 9A with an O-320, and a CS prop already installed. I love the absurdly (ABSURDLY) good climb performance, but assuming resources are limited, I think I still lean toward your view on this. Given my mission (light IFR travel between decent-sized paved runways), the money would probably have been better spent on avionics. And you're right, there's a lot to be said for the low maintenance costs of FP props.

I'd favor a CS if I was operating in and out of short/grass strips.
2017 Dues Paid
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 AM

I would re-examine the Whirlwind, if you're looking at a 72-month TBO either way then the only real delta there is 650 hours and some cost difference. The question you need to ask yourself is do you fly 100+ hours each year? That's 2 hours a week on average. I fly that much and more, but most don't.

I have the WW on my 9A and love it - but I made that choice for the weight reduction on the nose as a priority.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:31 AM

MT then.

Will give great take off performance and improve landing roll. May not be the fastest, but it is super smooth in the cruise.

MT now acknowledge low use inspections at 72 months. It is basically a disassemble, inspect, reseal, re-grease and rebuild. Keeps the costs down as they don't strip the blades.

Donated twice in 2017
Old 02-20-2018, 04:55 PM

A wise choice I think.

Without getting into never ending hair splitting. I simply enjoy the climb I get from my MT prop on a 200HP RV7. Lots of climb and landing performance at a cost. My choice to go that way. Others like FP and thatís fine for them.

I donít find a penalty on speed or cruise.

Are you sure you need an MT12? Is there a smaller MT for up to 180HP?