VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Default Lifting the '8 tail?

Relatively new owner of an RV-8 and find that lifting the tail for maintenance is pretty awkward (and surprisingly heavy). Case 1 is to get tailwheel onto a support so that fuselage is level. Case 2 is to get tailwheel unloaded and off the ground to work on it specifically.

Was wondering how other non-powerlifters do this? I was thinking maybe a 2"-wide padded strap around rear empenage and the shop crane? Possibly hard to find the right angle to avoid the horizontal? Maybe a chain hoist from the rafters?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Andy:

If you can find a "Tail-Mate" buy it. It will become one of your favorite tools for the -8. I don't believe they are manufactured anymore but someone may have one for sale. That someone would NOT be me. I'm being buried with mine

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Northwest Regional, TX)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Two-part line (soft polyester rope) and a 6" block hung from the ceiling works great. Use a rope yoke to lift from the tailwheel spring, not the tail.

Best stand ever (because it is really stable); engine stand with a wheel cup on a big acme screw.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispratt View Post
Andy:

If you can find a "Tail-Mate" buy it. It will become one of your favorite tools for the -8. I don't believe they are manufactured anymore but someone may have one for sale. That someone would NOT be me. I'm being buried with mine

Chris
Pictures are available, but any chance you could give some dimensions for the lengths? The tubing looks to be 1", but do you know the wall thickness - .063" or .090? And since the questions are flowing, with the tail hoisted up, is it pretty stable, no flex in the tubes?

Thanks!!

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 01-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Pictures are available, but any chance you could give some dimensions for the lengths? The tubing looks to be 1", but do you know the wall thickness - .063" or .090? And since the questions are flowing, with the tail hoisted up, is it pretty stable, no flex in the tubes?

Thanks!!
I have a Tail-Mate as well. It is very stable, no flexing at all. Robust locking mechanism, but still put something underneath, of course. Sounds like a business opportunity for Alan Nimmo of AntiSplatAero.com!

A few years ago someone on the forum built one of wood, but the pics are gone now.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 01-10-2018, 06:20 PM

Not mine, I just happened to save the photo.

Sedona, AZ
Old 01-10-2018, 06:41 PM

I dunno---I just grab the tail wheel spring and muscle it up. I'm 75---you've gotta be younger than me. I have a small footstool thingy with metal feet, and a cushion on top I bought from a furniture store. It's maybe 18" tall. I put the tail wheel spring on the foot stool. That arrangement doesn't touch the fuselage, but leaves the tail wheel totally free to take off, or whatever you want to do. Footstool cost me maybe 25 bux??
Old 01-10-2018, 07:17 PM

Default Tail Mate!!!

I was lucky and bought one of the last tail mates. It gets used by all of the tailwheel guys on the airport. Someone needs to start making them again. They work great on most all tailwheel airplanes that have the tailwheel on a spring or stinger and have rudder clearance.
Maule M5-235C SOLD
C-172G SOLD
Stinson L5 SOLD
Grumman AA1A SOLD
Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 PM

Default Lift cart

I use a Harbor Fright lift cart: https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...art-69148.html
Bought it when I had a 20% off coupon.

With some padding on it, roll under a bulkhead near the tail and hoist away. I also put a scale on it for the tailwheel when it was time to weigh the plane. Easy to hoist the tail to level the longerons. Handy also for lifting the lower cowl for re-installation.

Ed Holyoke
Old 01-10-2018, 08:37 PM

If someone would send me some pictures of the Tail mate I would make them .