- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-03-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Is that 200 MPH IAS or TAS?
That is TAS.

Remember, indicated airspeed drops off as you climb and the air gets thinner (not taking into account any change in temperature.)
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 01-03-2018, 07:02 AM

Default Climb

Whatís your mission? Mine is time to climb baby. Io360 with CS Prop on the RV-9 equals a climb that make me smile every time. Iím not a speed demon and I am very respectful of the VNO VNE limitations of the design thanks in large part of Scottís posts. The last thing we all want is for the -9ís to start having the same failure rates that the -7 have.

Nevertheless, I have not regretted my decision one bit. Thatís being said, the IO320 with CS Prop would be my second choice had I not already had an non-weighted crankshaft angle-valve 200hp engine laying around. However, I really love the IO320 engine/CS Prop combination and highly recommend it for the -9.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
Comanche 260 - poor mans RV-10
Old 01-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Van doesnít recommend a 360 for the 9. Heís the man what did the engineering and I for one follow the advice from the design engineer. If you have a background in aircraft design and can reverse engineer the 9, go ahead and put whatever engine you want in your 9.

As for the clowning question as the 9 & 7 have the same cowling and the 7 is approved for a 360 I would think it would fit in a 9
Paid My 2019 dues
Old 01-03-2018, 06:31 PM

Default Original

Doug,
Per your original question I assume that you are comparing the cost of a 320 ready to rock and roll verse a 360 that can be re-built for approximately the same price. I have been on both ends of this equation in the past and can only share that I have never had a rebuild come in for the original estimate, and by that I mean it's never costed less. So on that basis I, personally would chose the 320...all previous points can be taken into account as well.
VAF Dues Paid for 2018
Old 01-03-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berchmans View Post
Doug,
Per your original question I assume that you are comparing the cost of a 320 ready to rock and roll verse a 360 that can be re-built for approximately the same price. I have been on both ends of this equation in the past and can only share that I have never had a rebuild come in for the original estimate, and by that I mean it's never costed less. So on that basis I, personally would chose the 320...all previous points can be taken into account as well.
Yes and no.

When I bought my ECi kit engine the difference between the 320 and 360 was $500 and 20 pounds. Since i knew I was going to run Catto, I'm still lighter than a 320 with a metal fixed pitch prop.

With an overhaul, all bets are off, until you open it up and know what you have.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 01-03-2018, 10:49 PM

Default Thanks to All

Glad to see the thread got back on track after a little drift. As my friend Fearless stated, I have about 500 hours in a -9A with a 160HP O-320 that was lost in a landing accident near Oshkosh 3 1/2 years ago. The plane performs great at the 160HP level, but since I am starting from scratch, I thought I would consider a 360 if a deal came along. Others have done so successfully. Vans did say the -7 cowl and engine mount will fit the -9 if that's what I want. I just have to confirm the 360 has the right sump, carb/throttle body configuration, etc. So the search goes on...
Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Thanks Carl. Giving me pause...
Old 01-04-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Something to consider. Last page for RV-9A:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Nos...ice_letter.pdf
Seems to me that everyone should build taildraggers!

Doug, it all depends on what prop you want to put on your -360. As I mentioned above, my O-360 and Catto FP prop is lighter than an O-320 with a metal FP prop. If I put composite CS prop on it, I would still be lighter than a 320 with a metal CS prop, which is approved.

As you build, you once again have to go through the Q&A process to figure out which configuration, options, etc. you want in your plane.

As you pointed out, your -9A with a 160 hp (I)O-320 was a good performer. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that engine.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 01-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Seems to me that everyone should build taildraggers!

Oh you can say that again! careful though you will upset a few training wheel owners

An 0360 low comp (for auto gas) & composite prop would be a nice compromise as everything to do with aviation is a compromise
Old 03-08-2018, 02:05 PM

I thought the O360 B1B only produces 168hp.

If this is correct, would the folks concerned about too much horsepower for the 9A still be concerned?