- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-28-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
With the Kavlico sensors and the AFS 4500:
- Black wire gets a local or an EMS ground
- Green wire connects to the wire that used to go to the VDO sensor
- Red wire gets +5VDC from the AFS pin 19 on the 37-pin EMS connector
Jesse, so am I to take it that no other change is required to use the Kavlico senders wither the AFS 4500? Is the output the same, re. Ohms vs output voltage? I only see VDO and Stewart Warner options in the setup page.

Also, I already have 5 volts output from the EFIS in the engine compartment for the GPS antenna, can I just tap into that?

I have to do something about it now. The oil pressure sender had stopped causing trouble, but now both the oil AND fuel pressure units are wonky and Iíve grounded the airplane until I get it straightened out.

Also, what are the Kavlico part numbers?
Jesse Bentley
N229Z - RV-8 - Flying - Livin' the dream!
Old 01-28-2018, 11:36 AM

So this is a timely thread for me as both my VDO fuel and oil pressure sensors have started acting flaky... and my oil sensor has already been replaced once. Question though, for a GRT 4000 EIS system, these Kavlico sensors donít appear to be plug and play as I donít have a 5V output under the hood. Any ideas on how to install these new sensors with GRT or am I stuck with the crappy VDOs?
John Bixby
RV-8 QB sn 82030 - 1500 hrs
New Waverly, TX

VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 PM

I have an AFS 5400 and 3500 and have replaced the fuel pressure sensor twice and oil pressure sensor once. The changes resulted in fixes. I have the VDO sensors. Sounds like it might be time for an upgrade.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Default Me too - oil pressure spikes

This forum is great! I have the same problem and it is getting more frequent. Oil pressure starts out ok, but then on run-up spikes up to 115 or so. That may be allowable for the first 10 minutes and I changed the alarm settings on my D180 accordingly. Then it would settle down at 85psi and all would be well.

Until it sometimes starts to climb again IN FLIGHT to over 115 and the alarms are all going off in my ears. Then settles back to 85 for a period of time before climbing again.

Until I read this blog I suspected the gauge because I could not think of any engine functionality that would cause this, but I am glad that others have had the same problem and determined that it is the pressure transducer.

I just ordered the Klavico sender from Dynon. I fully expect it to fix my problem.

Gordon R