Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-04-2016, 12:51 PM

Default Setrab Oil Cooler Question

Hi All,
My project came with a Setrab Oil Cooler mounted with the engine installation. The A&P and EAA chapter member I have take a look at my project from time to time saw it and thought it was "way to small" to do an adequate job cooling my Superior XP IO-360. Further research here on VAF suggested it can do the job but has brought up some discussion of failures in the past which was a bit concerning. I know there are many related threads on here (which I have already reviewed) but haven't seen too much posted about it since about 5 - 6 years ago so my question is: Are people still using these Setrab coolers and has there been any issues with cooling or more importantly, reports of failures of these coolers in recent years??

Thanks!
Matt
Garmin G3X
CFI, CFII, MEI
Old 08-04-2016, 02:07 PM

Default Used on a Certified ship!

I saw two of these units on my friends extreme aerobatic mount (XA42). They (2ea in this application - cooling a 580 Lycoming!) look to dang small, but he reports good temps! I know of one that exploded when the builder hooked it up wrong and popped the oil filter at the same time..

I think the filters are good for about 350psi? :-0

Carry on!
Mark
Old 08-04-2016, 08:24 PM

Looks like for most of them the literature says tested to 145 psi (10 bar).
Garmin G3X
CFI, CFII, MEI
Old 08-04-2016, 10:23 PM

I installed a mocal (same as Setrab) 10 row on my O-320. It worked well until I installed EI. The extra advance raised the oil temps into the 220/230 range when running low MAP/High advance. A 13 row would probably have been enough. I almost stacked one behind the other, but chose to try a traditional cooler.

Larry
Old 08-05-2016, 03:27 AM

Default Started with seatrab changed to traditional

Installed a seatrab in my 4 during build 4 years ago due to cost and ability to fit in the tight quarters of a a 4's firewall forward. Mounted on back of baffle. Too small for cooling the O360 A1A. Went with traditional cooler mounted on engine mount with scat tube. Temps all good. Sometimes a great idea (outside the box) ain't such a great idea. Some of us just have to learn the hard way.
0 360 A1A Ellison throttle body
PMags
Trutrak Efis
Catto 3 Blade
FLYING
Old 08-05-2016, 06:16 PM

Seatrab - for a dragster, or stock car - great...... But for an airplane??..... No way.....
Old 08-06-2016, 01:27 AM

I have a 13 row Setrab mounted at 45 degree angle to the back baffle behind the number 4 cylinder on a O-320-D2J (160 HP) in our RV-4. I did replace it at engine overhaul after 13 years just because it was inexpensive to do so. The second one has been in service for seven years. The Setrab is quite compact and the 45 degree turn is efficient for air flow. With 6-7 quarts in the sump, temps run cool overall and I use restrictor plates on the round intake hole on the back baffle to keep temps around 180 degrees F. I have a summer plate and a winter plate to adjust intake area. In hindsight, a 10 row would likely have been sufficient in our application; however adjustable intake area works well with the larger cooler. It may be easier to install a larger cooler and then experiment with intake flow (or install an adjustable shutter) to achieve desired temperature than to "right size" the cooler if there is any doubt about capacity.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 08-06-2016 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK77 View Post
Hi All,
. . . thought it was "way to small" to do an adequate job cooling my Superior XP IO-360. . . .
Thanks!
Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I installed a mocal (same as Setrab) 10 row on my O-320. It worked well until I installed EI. The extra advance raised the oil temps into the 220/230 range when running low MAP/High advance. A 13 row would probably have been enough. I almost stacked one behind the other, but chose to try a traditional cooler.
Larry
I don't have experience, but have looked at the performance specs. The area might be competitive, but the heat rejection saturates at a lower delta-p across the cooler (airspeed) than even the Niagara coolers. By spec (admittedly not always reliable) its heat rejection is quite a bit lower than the same form factor Niagara. You can go to the Niagara website and download the dimensions and performance specs. The 7 and 9 row can be mounted in the same openings without modifications if advance prep is made for the slightly wider 9 row.

You might check the specs against one another at 5-6-7 inches of water pressure drop across the cooler.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 PM

Default Update

Just to update this thread with additional information for those who may encounter it:

So far I've conducted the first two flights of my RV-7 (with the Setrab cooler). OATs at the surface were in the upper 30's to low 40's for both flights. Oil temps were around 200 - 205 in cruise at 75% power (3000' agl). Considering the low OATs this seems pretty high. I think it will get me through the winter but will probably be looking into a more capable cooler in the spring when temps increase.
Garmin G3X
CFI, CFII, MEI
Old 12-15-2017, 02:58 PM

Don't do anything until you have 20 to 30 hours on the engine! Temps will fall as the engine breaks in. If your CHTs are OK, but oil temps are high, then the oil cooler is suspect. If both are high the air mass flow through the cowling is suspect. I have used a 7 row Mocal on an IO-360-B2B for a while with no problem (in England, so moderate temperatures).

Pete