VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Default Pipe Thread Sealant

I have a couple of weeping brake fluid points on my master brake cylinders mounted on the pedals. Before I start the project I want to confirm that Teflon tape is the acceptable thread sealant to use with brake fluid. (I have already tried tightening the fittings with little improvement.)

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:21 PM

Teflon tape is not recommended. A paste type sealant is what you want. Now to start a 'primer war', I'd suggest either Loctite 567 pipe sealant, or Permatex #2.
I assume the leaks are from the NPT threads in the actual master cylinder. The line fittings, if correctly assembled, should not require sealant, and should not leak.
Cheers
DaveH

Last edited by daveyator : 06-12-2016 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Further information
Old 06-12-2016, 05:24 PM

Technically, Teflon tape is considered a thread lubricant which allows the threads to be tightened further than without. It is not a sealant.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 06-12-2016, 06:08 PM

I only will use ACME 4 part epoxy primer, and...uh, oh wrong thread.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:47 PM

+1 for using Loctite 567. I had a leak in the same place and 567 fixed it nicely. Since I needed to drain all the brake fluid from my system to reseal the NPT fittings at the master cylinders, I also resealed the fittings at the calipers since they were also slightly leaking.
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n74846 View Post
Before I start the project I want to confirm that Teflon tape is the acceptable thread sealant to use with brake fluid.
Thanks for your input!
Teflon tape is generally regarded to be off limits on aircraft, though I'm sure many get away with using it. And, in fact, my pitot line fittings came with some on the threads. Still, there's always a chance a bit of tape can get in the system and there are other alternatives that don't have the same downside. As others mentioned Loctite 567 or the Permatex equivalent, is a good choice, as is TiteSeal. I initially used fuel lube (EZ Turn) per Van's plans with good results, but others have had problems with that leaking. Now I just use the Permatex equivalent of 567.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 06-12-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:41 PM

Thanks to all for the input. I will stay away from the Teflon and stick with one of the recommendations.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n74846 View Post
Thanks to all for the input. I will stay away from the Teflon and stick with one of the recommendations.
I used a Permatex thread sealant with PTFE (Teflon) in it. The PTFE provided the lubrication needed to get one more full turn on the fittings into the brake cylinders.

https://www.zoro.com/permatex-thread...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:37 AM

I used the Permatex #2 when assembling the brakes a couple of years ago. Last week at inspection the DAR noticed that every one of the Master Cylinder NPT fittings was leaking. Note that the brakes have had virtually no use since assembly. I'm in the process of disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly with Loctite 567 this time.
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:49 AM

I use 567 on everything and have been happy with it. That said, I had several leaks in my brake lines as well. Even though carefully tightened with my expertly calibrated right arm, they leaked - even without actual pressurized use!. I took them all loose and did it over with more tightening force (and more 567) and now they are not leaking. There seems to be some slight mismatch on the threads of the fittings or the master cylinders, as well as some other places in the brake lines, and what I would call "over tightening" seems to solve the problem.