- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2016, 08:15 PM

Jean-Pierre,

Thanks for your original post. I am doing my fourth annual and found this issue. It must have been broken for a while because the vertical part of the broken angle had sawed into the head of the 10mm bolt that fastens the horizontal part of the angle to the rubber shock isolator.

FYI I checked the original bracket with a magnet, and it is non-ferrous, probably aluminum, which is what I replaced it with. I think the problem is that the bolt holes in the angle are offset, and if the offset is not correct there is a constant force pulling the angle causing it to fail.

For anybody else who has this issue: be sure to put some material under the angle before you remove it because if anything drops there is a good chance it will go into the flywheel area where the generator, tach, trigger and ignition power coils are.

I had to disconnect my oil tank hoses to gain access to the fasteners.

Rich
Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
Jean-Pierre,

Thanks for your original post. I am doing my fourth annual and found this issue. It must have been broken for a while because the vertical part of the broken angle had sawed into the head of the 10mm bolt that fastens the horizontal part of the angle to the rubber shock isolator.

FYI I checked the original bracket with a magnet, and it is non-ferrous, probably aluminum, which is what I replaced it with. I think the problem is that the bolt holes in the angle are offset, and if the offset is not correct there is a constant force pulling the angle causing it to fail.

For anybody else who has this issue: be sure to put some material under the angle before you remove it because if anything drops there is a good chance it will go into the flywheel area where the generator, tach, trigger and ignition power coils are.

I had to disconnect my oil tank hoses to gain access to the fasteners.

Rich
Here we go again! Indeed it is a silent failure quite difficult to detect, because of the location and because of the minor consequences (at least for a while, indeed in your case it has probably been broken for more than one year). I still believe that this is due to the manufacturing process: folding a thick piece of Al alloy at a 90 deg angle. It could be that the wrong alloy was used in some instances otherwise the rate of failure should trigger a recall by Rotax.

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114
Old 03-24-2016, 08:53 PM

Possibly, but I think the alignment of the holes is a major contributor to the failure.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:46 PM

Well, two years later in annual my bracket was cracked again. Again I made a beefier bracket out of 3/16 aluminum. My guess is Ill be addressing this again in the future. Has anybody found a final fix for this?
Old 03-20-2018, 05:20 PM

My German cousin is a light sport mechanic in Germany. I asked him if the failure of the coil bracket is common, and he said he has not seen any. It's not obvious to me as to why this would be an issue only on RV-12s. I put in a bracket that I manufactured from 3/16" Al angle, but I also ordered a replacement that I can reverse engineer to make any future brackets as required.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:32 PM

Hi RFSchaller,

These brackets rarely break and they are mounted on over 50K engines. What causes this is just vibration. Doesn't matter if you can feel it if those brackets are breaking then you have vibration issues and should eliminate the possible causes. This vibration could cause other breakage issues down the road. Here is an article I read on Rotax-Owner on the common causes. We covered these vibration issues last week at CPS Heavy Maint. school.
Hope this helps.

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/rotax...vibration-help
Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 PM

Thanks, Brad. None of the suggestions are an obvious problem. I wonder if there are many RV12 owners who have experienced this. As I said my cousin, the ROTAX mechanic says he has not seen it as a problem on other 912ULS engines.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:40 AM

Add me to the list of broken brackets. Saw it this weekend (420h) but it may have been there in the past and I never noticed it. Credit this post for even knowing where to look. Really don't think I have excessive vibration although I've never had the propeller balanced. Might be an argument to do that.
RV-12, N913BC
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 03-25-2018, 01:49 PM

My bracket gave up at about 400 h and again at 700.
Prop has been dynamically balanced twice

PH-SEP and PH-SES

RV12 #120519 and #120790
Hobbs 700+ hours and 400+ hours
Dual SV1000 Skyview 15, Pocket FMS and Powerflarm 6.0 (ADSB)
Old 03-25-2018, 04:18 PM

I've seen two of these brackets break. One on a Tecnam P2002-JF (around 500 hours total time) and one on a Tecnam P2006T (twin - but only on one engine affected), TTAF around 200 hours.

A right pain to replace on certified aircraft with the single airbox in the way!

Loving Rotax....