- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2018, 07:14 AM

Default Stall Warning Audio Board

Hi, I am installing the panel and wiring in my QB RV8 and am embarrassed to say that I don't understand what the ES Audio board supplied in the stall warning kit is for? Clearly I am missing something quite fundamental here but I would have thought some kind of buzzer connected directly to the stall switch in the wing would do the job without any need for the board. This is my first post but I love this forum and have used it extensively during what is now 3 years of building with a while to go yet. Thanks Dave
Old 03-11-2018, 07:26 AM

I do not have mine working properly so hopefully some one else will chime in with the correct info. I think it's in order to connect the stall warning to your intercom. Mine only sounds with the buzzer and I only hear it with the engine at low RPM. I have it wired to the intercom but something is a miss as I do not hear it in the headphones. Hopefully some one will have help for me also.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks Ron, I did wonder if it was something to do with the intercom
Old 03-11-2018, 02:55 PM

From what I read when I installed the switch, the board is a Tone or Sound generator that ties into the headphone jack and or intercom.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:33 AM

Default Head phone jack

I wired mine into the headphone jack. It was very loud so I installed a resistor to tone it down a bit. I ended up removing the tone generator and installing a red light on the panel. Very easy to wire up. One lead to positive and the stall warn contact is connected to the negative lead.

I am concidering re-hooking up the tone as I think it is a more effective indicator.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:58 AM

It's a tone generator that doesn't ramp up. Suddenly it's ON! BLATT! enough to scare the pucky out of any passenger just as you flare. Throw it away and pay attention to your AS/AOA.

John Siebold
Old 03-12-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ator View Post
It's a tone generator that doesn't ramp up. Suddenly it's ON! BLATT! enough to scare the pucky out of any passenger just as you flare. Throw it away and pay attention to your AS/AOA.

John Siebold
Diagree. Wire it into the headset jack not the intercom. Your passenger wonít here it. Tone it down with a resistor. Itís a nice safety feature if you ask me.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:58 PM

I think mounting the board inside keeps it in a more stable / dry environment. I wired mine into a GMA245 audio panel and also had to tone it down with a resistor. I had also briefly considered leaving it out since the Garmin G3X system has a nice AOA and stall warning setup with plenty of customization options, but thought better of it for two reasons. The Van's stall warn doesn't draw any current so you can wire it into a hot bus or essential bus (in my case) so that some day down the road when the excrement has hit the fan and you have to shut down much of your electrical systems including the G3X and you're really focused on a partial panel approach somewhere, you still have a warning if airspeed drops out of your crosscheck. The other reason is for the next guy to fly the plane. I'd like him/her to have another help to avoid the low altitude stall that still gets a lot of folks.
GTN 625
GNC 255
GTR 20
GTX 45R
G5 x 2

Facebook "log" https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/

Last edited by SgtZim : 03-25-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: a
Old 03-25-2018, 05:55 PM

Mine works but is about 50% too loud. Can anyone suggest a resistor value and location? My board is behind my instrument panel.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 AM

Default Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
Mine works but is about 50% too loud. Can anyone suggest a resistor value and location? My board is behind my instrument panel.
Canít remember the resistor value that I used. I located it close to the headset jack. Try different ones to find the one that works best. If you have it wired into the intercom, you will have to locate the signal output wire coming out of the sound board.