VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-10-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Center consol dimensions

Simple question, but tough answer to find when you don't have the kit yet.

What is the usable height and width dimensions for an RV-14 center section of the Avionics Panel. I am trying to envision my center console stack but would need 12 inches usable space to install the avionics I want with V-series Contura switches below them.

I would also use Van's CAD drawings, but my home computer doesn't have a program to read .dxf files.

If someone can tell me what the height and width of usable space for the center section of the panel comes out to be I would greatly appreciate it Thanks
RV-14A #140512: Empennage in Progress
Old 03-10-2018, 05:07 PM

A quick measurement (with a tape measure) of the center panel shows about 6.5 inches wide and about 10.5 inches tall, with the measurements taken at the inside dimension. Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:07 PM

Much Appreciated. Looks like I need to adjust my planned stack a bit.

I was hoping to put a G5 on top with audio panel GTN 650 and Autopilot while still having room for switches underneath. Might be able to get some shorter switches. Will look harder when it gets a bit closer.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 07:50 PM

Take a look at the center section in my panel. The audio panel would be the same height as the radio in mine.

There are some gotchas here. Because of the depth of the radio and 6xx, the bottom of my radio is as low as it can go without opening up the hole in the subpanel. It can be done but will require some modifications on your part.

With these devices you will have a hard time getting any switches below them.

I did have space on either side of the G5 for some switches. This layout has worked very well for 130 hours now.

You might consider the remote mount GMA 245R audio panel. it would give you plenty of flexibility here.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Old 03-10-2018, 08:12 PM

Default panel layout

A couple thoughts for you, download https://viewer.autodesk.com/ it is a free dxf viewer from Autocad

Another idea is if you have the time to learn a lot, join EAA or if you are a member you can download solidworks for free. And once you have done that you can download the panel structural in 3D from Van's here https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/downloads.htm for the plane you are building. And you can edit the panel to what you want. Basically build it before you build it.
Have fun, Larry

RapidsetBuildings.com (Hangars)
Advertiser
RV-14 tail, QB Fuselage, Finish kit, QB wings ordered
Grateful to pay dues 18'

Old 03-11-2018, 10:56 AM

Greatly appreciate all the input. Your giving me lots of ideas and allowing me to adjust my thoughts well before spending the money.

Curious, I am seeing a lot of panels with the emags have push-button ignitions rather than a traditional keyed 4 position switch that controls the starter and mag's. Any particular reason?

Also, with the push button, what are you using to prevent theft? I imagine you have a hidden kill switch or on/off key somewhere. Or are you just relying on canopy locks? (If you have a hidden key, don't say where) Just curious the methods being used.