VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 AM

Default Rear Window Install - Painting the plexiglass

I've read where some are painting about an inch strip on their rear window to hide the sealant eyesore. I'd like to do this, installing my rear window (held off until the end for accessibility).

What primer/paint are you guys using for this? I reached out to SEM and their reply was "We don't have any products tested on plexiglass and we cannot recommend it".

Looking for just battleship gray ..

Thanks for any tips!
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!

Last edited by bkervaski : 01-17-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM

Bill I just used the same single stage urethane paint I used for the interior. I have not permanently installed the window yet but should look much nicer than the black/grey squish mess showing through.

Leesburg, VA
RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)
VAF 2018 and 2019 paid
www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 AM

Rustoleum 2x spray paint from Home Depot. Made for plastic. Scuff area and clean with alcohol first. Came out perfect.
RV14A #140083
Down to last 5%.
2017 Donation
Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 AM

Thanks, guys! If Icemageddon 2018 lets up today I'll go grab some. Also, if you don't hear from me in the next few days the white blanket of death got us and it's been wonderful chatting with everyone
Old 01-17-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
Thanks, guys! If Icemageddon 2018 lets up today I'll go grab some. Also, if you don't hear from me in the next few days the white blanket of death got us and it's been wonderful chatting with everyone
How about a nice piece of 3m vinyl?
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 170+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
1941 J3 Cub skis floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:24 AM

Anybody using this painting method on a -10 vs layers of fiberglass? I haven't had much time around -10, Columbia, Cirrus types to see their window completion setups. I know the gap would still exist around the window/cabin top, but some are filling with a bead of Proseal?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannarv View Post
Anybody using this painting method on a -10 vs layers of fiberglass? I haven't had much time around -10, Columbia, Cirrus types to see their window completion setups. I know the gap would still exist around the window/cabin top, but some are filling with a bead of Proseal?
I think the original poster was referring to the interior finish. I planned on just painting the glue transition inside with the same interior paint that I am using (jet flex). Use fineline tape maybe 1/8" inside of window glue fillet and paint perimeter. Should blend in nicely. I'm also using the aerosport headliner system. This is for a -10 but same idea.
Whirlwind 375RV
Garmin G900X
Final assembly

Last edited by Electrogunner : 01-17-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added last line
Old 01-17-2018, 12:17 PM

I tried to find some sticky vinyl material that is similar to the "fading dots" matrix that is used on car window borders -- no luck. If anyone out there has found such material, let me know.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 700+ hours (as of Nov 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:31 PM

Done! Was pretty easy to do, turned out great. Thanks for the advice! Hoping to get it installed tomorrow after the paint cures up.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Smile Painting aft of rear window :

There is no need to cover up pro seal if masked off correctly. I would not paint to cover up. Although it can be easily done if you elect to do so.

1. When holes are drilled in plexiglass, cleco in place rear and temporarily screw all or most front roll bar screws in place. (Not tightly but just until screw stops)
2. Go to top rear of window and apply quality plastic electrical tape to keep pro seal away from finish exposed plexiglass. You can add an additional row of masking tape after the electrical tape if you like.
3. Remove plexiglass and apply pro seal only to rear and side under and side about 3/4 on aluminum aft and sides.
4. Install a very small bead of clear silicone aft or over screw holes all along roll bar. This can be done after rear is clecoed with one in center rear. Then squirt in along under front roll-bar. (You will note center forward and both lower sides will need to be silicones to fill large water and air leaks as a last step)
5. Install all screws and nuts aft and screws over roll bar. Just as the aft electrical tape protected the plexiglass from pro seal, you can install electrical tape under plexiglass just aft the roll bar and forward the roll bar then just peel it off after silicone extrudes out if at all.
6. Clean excess off aft aluminum before removing electrical tape around flush screw heads.
7. Carefully remove tape.
Note: I have seen one example where the builder wanted a 1/16 of proseal showing on plexiglass. I did not and terminated flush with aft aluminum. Have fun! This will require two rested and positive people to install. But you will make it!
If you test acitone on a scrap of plexiglass, you will it will clean off proseal pwithout clouding or melting the plexiglass.