VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 PM

I completed my fuel flow calibrations, float level calibrations, and checked unusable fuel this past Saturday. Very happy with 26 GPH on the electric pump. 2oz of fuel left per tank or less, there was so little the pump could not pump its not even worth mentioning.
If anyone is a gallon or more of unusable fuel there is an issue, assuming the pickup tube is not on the bottom inside of the tank????
The blood that squirts from your finger after you run a #40 drill bit into it is proof that your still alive.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:32 AM

it was earlier mentioned that weight measurement is the most accurate. that may be true but not helpful here. your system leaves fuel behind by volume, not weight.your unusable may be 6lbs on a cold day and 5lbs 14oz on a hot day.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 03-07-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoffs View Post
it was earlier mentioned that weight measurement is the most accurate. that may be true but not helpful here. your system leaves fuel behind by volume, not weight.your unusable may be 6lbs on a cold day and 5lbs 14oz on a hot day.
Either way that's still too much - almost all RV's have an unusable in the 1-2 digit ounces (by weight OR volume) range. Gallons is not an acceptable unit of measure in this case, something else is hokey.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 AM

I agree with a previous post. I would not make the first flight until I fully understood the discrepancy. The downside is too great.
Victoria, TX
2018 Dues Gladly Paid
Old 03-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Default Problem Solved

Today I pumped out all of the fuel using the electric fuel pump, then pulled the sump drains. Although the fuel remaining was not a couple of ounces, the total unusable fuel for my airplane with a flop tube is less than 0.25 gallons. While the right side pickup in the QB tank may be a little higher than desired, I find this result perfectly acceptable.

The problem clearly was twofold - the meter on the portable fuel tank was inaccurate and the "full" mark on the 5 gallon can I used to measure the fuel pumped out is also way off. So the fuel "in" and "out" were not measured properly. But the unusable fuel is within a reasonable range.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 Katana "Princess Amelia"
RV-7A Phase 1 under way, in paint at Evoke Aviation
RV-10 under construction