VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-26-2018, 07:42 PM

Default Spark plug temp

Wondering if spark plug temp range has any effect on running lop? I’ve just tweaked my afp injectors but get a hesitation/miss before I get to where i think I should able to get lower fuel flow.

Last edited by rvdave : 02-26-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 AM

Iíve had good success with the standard BR8ES plugs on the 8A (pMags) running LOP. The RV-10 is unfortunately still running mags (will Brad ever have the six cylinder pMag out??) and standard Tempest plugs. Even so, after balancing injectors LOP ops are smooth even when way below practical LOP fuel flow.

That said, I did have problems before I replaced the orginal Champion plugs with Tempest. 8 of the 12 Champion plugs tested bad after 300 hours (high center electrode resistance). The new plugs made a big difference.

If you are having problems running LOP and are sure your plugs are clean and in good shape, recommend you look at the other usual suspects before messing with plug heat values.

Carl
Old 02-27-2018, 10:11 AM

My understanding is that the plug temp range can help avoid fouling; running LOP also helps here so temp range is not likely related. Plug temp has to do with heat dissipation, not spark.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 03-03-2018, 08:06 PM

Plug temp too hot and it can cause pre-ignition. Temp too cold and deposits on the electrodes don't get burned off. Plug temp will not cause poor engine running unless the deposit build up becomes great enough to prevent the plug from firing. This is unrelated to mixture levels.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 03-03-2018 at 08:10 PM.