- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig600 View Post
Nice. I don't envy your task ahead getting that tailwheel bracket in!
Almost done, after the tailspring comes tomorrow, to drill for the bolt holding the tailspring to the bracket. Putting in four new bulkheads, which are riveted in pairs back to back, along with the new angled bar stock to hold the horizontal stab & tailwheel bracket.

At least that part will be done..

L.Adamson
Old 11-20-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Adamson View Post
Almost done, after the tailspring comes tomorrow, to drill for the bolt holding the tailspring to the bracket. Putting in four new bulkheads, which are riveted in pairs back to back, along with the new angled bar stock to hold the horizontal stab & tailwheel bracket.

At least that part will be done..

L.Adamson
Oh trust me, I know the process. I almost stuck my head in the lawn mower after several hours because I couldn't take it anymore. Getting that rear most bulkhead in about drove me mad.
RV-7, SOLD
Old 02-27-2018, 04:14 PM

Default Ease of Build

I realize this post has been around a while (original post 2011) and it is now 2018, one question that was not asked was about the build. Is there a difference in the build of the 9 vs the 7. I understand Van's methods improved over the years is this reflected in the build time or complexity?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkevinm View Post
I realize this post has been around a while (original post 2011) and it is now 2018, one question that was not asked was about the build. Is there a difference in the build of the 9 vs the 7. I understand Van's methods improved over the years is this reflected in the build time or complexity?
They are pretty much identical. The only real change in construction is that the -9 has more wing rivets because it is a longer wing, even though they have the same number of ribs.

Now, if you are asking about the -7 & -9 compared to the -14, there is a huge difference!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-27-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
They are pretty much identical. The only real change in construction is that the -9 has more wing rivets because it is a longer wing, even though they have the same number of ribs.

Now, if you are asking about the -7 & -9 compared to the -14, there is a huge difference!
Agree for the most part but, could add that there is a difference in how the control surfaces are constructed on the 3,4,6,7,8 vs. the 9,10,14. The Ailerons, Flaps, Elevators & Rudder trailing edges are a single sheet that is bent at the trailing edge on the 3,4,6,7,8 but on the latter the two sheets come together at the trailing edge and are double flush back-riveted together with an AEX wedge in between. The AEX trailing edge gives a very clean, precise, durable trailing edge but is a bit more complex to construct. It takes some care to build them straight with no twist but still easily doable for a novice like me.

I found that the empennage fiberglass tips on the -9 take a bit less fabrication than on the 8 (and presumably 7 as well). Specifically, the -9 rudder bottom has cut lines on it which helps a lot on this piece, and the elevator tips are closed in on the leading edge on the -9 already, vs open on the -8 which then get melded in with the lead counter weight. Nothing substantial just a bit more straight forward.

Like mentioned about the wing, the horizontal stab is larger as well, but only a couple hours larger.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold
Old 02-27-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbro172 View Post
Agree for the most part but, could add that there is a difference in how the control surfaces are constructed on the 3,4,6,7,8 vs. the 9,10,14. The Ailerons, Flaps, Elevators & Rudder trailing edges are a single sheet that is bent at the trailing edge on the 3,4,6,7,8 but on the latter the two sheets come together at the trailing edge and are double flush back-riveted together with an AEX wedge in between.
Since 5/20/2002, the RV-7 uses the RV-9 rudder, the one with the riveted trailing edge. Discussed here:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb02-6-1.pdf
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 02-27-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 PM

The biggest difference, IMHO, is the aerobatic ability. You need to be realistic about what you want from the airplane.

If you want aerobatics and going flip-flopping in the sky on a regular basis (and that's a good thing, don't get me wrong) then the 7 is your bird.

If you don't care so much about the aerobatics but want a good solid long-distance cross-country airplane, the 9 is the better choice.

The 9 is a little more efficient in higher altitude cross-country cruise, while the 7 has the fun-quotient advantage of aerobatics at lower altitudes. Take your pick.

Disclaimer - I have a 9A, and it can go 1200 miles with two big butts and 100# of bags, plus NBAA reserves - and that's my idea of a useful airplane. Your mileage may vary.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 02-27-2018 at 09:47 PM.