VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 PM

Default high fuel pressure

I am running an O-320. The type certificate data sheet specs the fuel pressure at .5 psi to 8 psi. It has always been in that range. Last flight it went up to 10.5 psi. Any ideas what would cause that other than a pressure sending unit. The pressure was with the engine driven pump only. With the electric pump turned on it went even higher, like around 12 psi.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedricher View Post
I am running an O-320. The type certificate data sheet specs the fuel pressure at .5 psi to 8 psi. It has always been in that range. Last flight it went up to 10.5 psi. Any ideas what would cause that other than a pressure sending unit. The pressure was with the engine driven pump only. With the electric pump turned on it went even higher, like around 12 psi.
A bit of extra circuit resistance.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:58 AM

These pumps use spring pressure on the diagram to build pressure, the engine just “re-cocks” the pump. Springs don’t get stronger with age so I don’t know it can build more than design pressure. I have been told excess crank case pressure can cause an increase, and that makes sense, but I would test your pressure gauge first. If it’s a single wire design the ground path needs to be looked at, I’ve seen them mounted in an anodized fitting and that can cause problems.
Tim Andres
Old 02-23-2018, 09:18 AM

Gauge or wire problem is the 99.9% probability. Start by checking it with a know good analog gauge.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.