- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
Thanks for the tips. I looked at the Cleaveland static air kit. I like it. Two questions:

1. Can the existing holes in the RV-14 rear fuselage skins be used with the 1/2" hole for the Cleaveland static ports, or are they too close to a bulkhead?

2. I found old threads talking about installation-related errors in the static system when using the Safe Air kit. Does the Cleaveland kit have those problems, in anyone's experience? (It looks like it protrudes from the skin a bit, which sounded like what the Safe Air kit was lacking that led to inaccuracies. But I am just building this thing, I'm not any kind of a fluid dynamics expert.)

(3. Does anyone want to buy the static air kit that came with my empennage kit? It's new-in-box. )
1. I drilled out the existing holes with step drill and the Cleaveland ports fit just fine. You should double check size- I don't recall them being 1/2", more like 1/4". I scuffed skin where they mount and used epoxy (JBWeld) to hold them in place.
2. Newer versions of the port are reported to be very accurate - good discussion here: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=132813
3. I have the same problem!
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 02-20-2018, 10:26 PM

I also recently installed the Cleaveland ports in my 14 tailcone with no issues. I used Proseal to glue them in. Follow the directions so you don't put adhesive on the inner flange which needs to be flush against the inside surface of the skin to make the vent (which is shaped exactly like Van's pop rivet) protrude the correct amount on the outside of the skin.

I had a Safeair kit on my RV-8A and the airspeed was 5-6 kts low due to the static system error, so I'm hoping the Cleaveland vents perform better. Also I think you can buy just the vents or the whole static system kit including nice quick disconnect fittings. I think it's a great system and given the price point of the -14 (and the fact that most are equipped for IFR) I wish Vans would just include the Cleaveland system with the kit and save us all the hassle...
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 02-21-2018, 02:41 AM

The supplied static kit is easy to install and is very accurate at both high and low speeds.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com