Home > VansAirForceForums

- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-12-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by N999BT View Post

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't have one so I will try to describe what I did: I took a 24 inch ruler and laid it on the top wing skin along the wing rivet lines and also just inside the outboard top rivets on the aileron spar. To ensure consistent measurements, I set the ruler in the same place relative to the back of the wing skin every time. Also, I held the ruler in place by putting pressure right on the 12 inch mark of the ruler.

What I discovered surprised me; the ailerons were rigged the same. However, the wing skin was bent down aft of the rear spar on the right wing above the aileron by as much as 3/16 in. The skin on the left did not have this problem.

So... I gently straightened the skin out on the right, and went flying. Problem solved! It is not perfect, but my spring trim will allow the plane to fly hands off almost the entire speed range of the airplane. Amazing. I have fought this for years, and it took literally 5 minutes to fix once I saw the problem.

I hope this helps someone.
Taking two flexible metal yardsticks and holding them on the top and bottom surfaces of the wing at various flap and aileron locations can show where control surface misalignment and the famous "ski jump" conditions exist.

Just think of the flexible, but still somewhat stiff, yardstick tracking the airflow over the wing.

This was one of the methods used by early -6 builders to get flap and aileron alignment and a neutral position.
Gil Alexander
EAA Technical Counselor, Airframe Mechanic
Half completed RV-10 QB purchased
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 02-12-2018 at 11:02 PM.