What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior IO-360 CS Prop Options

cook_ts

I have a brand spankin' new Superior IO-360 horizontal induction with EMag/PMags.

I had planned on a Hartzell, HC-C2YR-1BFP/7497- 2 blade, Al, blended AF (Vans CS offering for an Lycoming IO-360). Today, Hartzell informed me that this prop is not approved for the engine config.

First is anyone flying this combo or would like to comment if there are any real concerns, or if Hartzell is really just in CYA mode, not having testing this 'exact' config?

And/or any recommendations for alternatives?

Otherwise, I have a $35K doorstop.

is Hartzell not approving it because of the lack of a crankshaft damper on the Superior?

Hi Tim,

Although I don't have part numbers in front of me, we are running a fuel injected, parallel valve Superior 360 with the Hartzell BA aluminum prop, on our Dream Tundra, and have about 300 hours on it. Using dual P-Mags on this engine. It’s been a good combination so far - doesn’t see unusual attitudes or rates like you might see on an RV, of course. Using the most conservative timing curves on the P-Mags.

I can’t give you any analysis or engineering data beyond saying that we haven’t had any issues...assuming you are talking about the same engine, of course (there is always a little confusion between “O” and “IO” 360’s, because some are angle valves....).

Paul

It flies

I have one of the last Lycoming IO360s built by Aerosport of Canada. Standard compression and dual Pmags. Same Hartzell that u are considering. I think u need to ask them what it is that they don?t approve of.

Hi Tim,

Although I don't have part numbers in front of me, we are running a fuel injected, parallel valve Superior 360 with the Hartzell BA aluminum prop, on our Dream Tundra, and have about 300 hours on it. Using dual P-Mags on this engine. It?s been a good combination so far - doesn?t see unusual attitudes or rates like you might see on an RV, of course. Using the most conservative timing curves on the P-Mags.

I can?t give you any analysis or engineering data beyond saying that we haven?t had any issues...assuming you are talking about the same engine, of course (there is always a little confusion between ?O? and ?IO? 360?s, because some are angle valves....).

Paul
I?m running the same setup as you Paul, no data & will add that after 560 hrs all is well.:)
Jake Jansen

Back