What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail cone fairing fit

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
When fitting the fiberglass fairing at the aft end of the tail cone, the stabilator skin comes very close to the fairing as I move the stab up and down through it's range of motion. I originally trimmed the fiberglass to the scribe lines, but this had things touching. As I trim further I don't know how small the gap should be. The thought of things shifting a bit causing interference with stab motion scares me. Any thoughts, pics or measurements would be appreciated.
S8v_v5Ixm-2jG98Elv9LepU_bCO67Gtv-UAkRpvmp9lnUZNwpP9WVB2idUjPbnbd83aqfNd0fm2qRlV1D0mLRsvgPl5bPsYdL6cF1rlotddrQEprAWxEeFBSlU43N4Ui6pfsxxS7X3Mx-HpYGvCXQbFCr9CjhD0AKQC8FoRd62mMWz1KWWps-t5LucMwdUqGahoEuDBXVP24FiXKfqqwXWjW-z2erGk4OAdc5Of_QiL_2mRqkO8EkGlD8yRg8CY6FJEejzFPa4y8wqfZ3UOrtWBNeXw9pthcEf0BkUWb5-7SiLeHv1novE-5HLK5Vbk2QKgPZgoHsIf7so4TuOVNipjSnBG1K5cgpPdUMMDq7HQhCosROD-ZTBmCSU_TUrL35GdzPsiROlN8pug5sbi98WUKmfqUtrkvJ2-EZzuTf2XMS_sX6oV1vtGwP6zXro6R1K0SFathM6Eyh7NNJqXLGB5UJDCU3HCzj2J88u_JYcxYkoTmfcy_jJnwtenfOtVX7TZozXOSivEK2VSoUldfR-SCJxGhEwHXt3bCnKMAXBU58MHX-Q7CZfSZ9aKDrqgZviO813hpolcHepz1I0-t-oJpIuoygejywwYvT1h-PStzi34lRWqcyRdGQnVh3uR5aMbGMpYLgmoqp-mbeTCeRrSw_yjYVfGPudocD1K7U1Mn2KHoMEOnZA=w500-no

I faced exactly the same issue and first thought to trim the stabilator skin in order to get more clearance. But then I fortunately did not do that.
see my post here

Carefully tightening all the screws helps to maintain equal clearance. First the top ones, the very bottom ones at last.
I also manufactured this bracket in order to achieve better lateral stability.
Further more, I also replaced the AN526C632R8 screws on the side by AN507C632R8 countersunk screws to get better clearance between the fairing and the skin.
It took me quite a while to work on the tailcone fairing. It looks that it goes pretty straight forward, but in my case it was not.
You can see more of my tailcone pictures here

Now I am quite happy how it came out. Be patient and go slow.
Hope it helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and pics. Yours seems to fit quite well. My seams will not be that good. My problems are partly my on creation because I tried to avoid removing the stabilator and rudder.

Jerre

I also did the bracket to make the tailcone more rigid. Besides that I trimmed the skin 1/8". Used the standard screws.

FP12022011A00002.jpg

FP12022011A00003.jpg

I have had one or two screws back out and catch the stabilator skin edge. Picked them up on preflight and a few turns on the screws fixed the problem. If you haven?t loctited the stabilator bearings the lateral play may cause some interference.

Back