What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel line clamps

GatorsR1

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm about a year into finishing an ELSA RV12 project and faithfully follow Van's instructions. Van is "The Man!" and my plane will be safe & reliable if I do as he says.
That said, here I go questioning hose clamps (AN737TW-24) on the fuel supply & return lines that prevent chafing. Reference KAI page 28-06, Step 5.
To me, they seem a bit much (heavy & somewhat unyielding to a less than circular shape) for their function.
Can anybody think of a reason not to use plastic "snapper clamps" or even tie wraps in place of the three hose clamps around the EA HOSE H175 and fuel lines?

Can anybody think of a reason not to use plastic "snapper clamps" or even tie wraps in place of the three hose clamps around the EA HOSE H175 and fuel lines?

The first one that comes to mind is that is has to match the plans to be certified as an ELSA......

There are a lot of things designated in the plans for all of the RV's that aren't the only way to do something, but they are A way that has been proven to work.

The idea behind an ELSA aircraft being built a very specific way is that every detail has been proven in service to work (at least in regards to the amount of testing and flight hrs done at the point it was made available). If a change is made, that is lost. Regardless of how logically equivalent the change may seem.

In this case, these are lines that are unsupported for the maximum distance that would typically be allowed. Coupled with having a couple of 90 degree bends in them. Mechanically tying them together well, makes them much more likely to survive the long term exposure to vibration that all light aircraft have to deal with.

Back