What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

static port help

stamper

Well Known Member
I bought a kit from another guy who put the port for the static in from the outside instead of from the inside and it looks to me that he used the good stuff to glue it in. I need to take it out and put it in from the inside. after I do that I will have a bigger hole there then what should of been. My question is has anyone glued one in and had to take it out. If so how did you do it. This is the port on the side farther down the tail from the baggage area. Thanks

IF he used the standard port from Vans (which is pretty weak), Once you get it out, I'd get the new ones form SafeAir1. There ports are more robust and are riveted into place. It would prob cover the hole. We are using their whole pitot static kit. It's great ESP if you're doing AOA too as all the lines are color coded, and there junctions are top notch...;)

I bought a kit from another guy who put the port for the static in from the outside instead of from the inside and it looks to me that he used the good stuff to glue it in. I need to take it out and put it in from the inside. after I do that I will have a bigger hole there then what should of been. My question is has anyone glued one in and had to take it out. If so how did you do it. This is the port on the side farther down the tail from the baggage area. Thanks

Can you call the guy and ask what he used for glue? That will help you determine which solvent you'll have to use to weaken the joint to the point you can pull it off.

You could relocate the hole if the hole is big an inch or so. Then fill in the original hole with a patch and some micro.

Also, pictures help us give you more precise advice.

It looks to me like he used pro seal. And also the port is safe airs port. Only supposed to have the nipple stick out the side skin instead of the whole thing stuck in from the out side. Thanks.

That's not necessarily a bad thing :) It may be more accurate now then if you install it from the inside.. Personally, I would leave it as-is.

That's not necessarily a bad thing :) It may be more accurate now then if you install it from the inside.. Personally, I would leave it as-is.

Ditto this advice. Wait until you fly to see how accurate it is. Van's rivet has a history of being accurate. Safeair ports (and I have one of them), in both their older and newer iterations, not always so. Some have had more luck getting accurate results by mounting it externally.

I have the new safe air port (purchased 2 years ago) installed from the inside, per their instructions. It is supposed to "mimic" the Vans rivet head installation. I have no measurable error with this installation.

I have the SafeAir static ports on my -10 and also mounted mine to the outside of the skins instead of the inside.

David,

Are you flying the 10 now and if so does it read correctly. Also thanks to everyone for there input.

David,

Are you flying the 10 now and if so does it read correctly. Also thanks to everyone for there input.

Not yet. I have read pros and cons on both ways and decided to mount them on the outside of the skins. Some builders reported more accurate IAS readings mounted this way. My Cessna was that way and the other certified planes that I looked at were mounted similar. I will see if I made the right choice in phase 1. :rolleyes:

Back