VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 PM

Default My solution

I have my system all planned and I'm wiring as I go. I am going the color coding method red power / black ground everythinng labeled (of course) Via shrink wrap label maker... Signal/data are green & white. My solution to the panel harnessesseses is the Fast-Stack hub by Approach (all harnesses are white with pig tails matching my color coding scheme)

http://approachfaststack.com/

I also, have an awesome contact for Mil-spec wire, so I paid WAY less then most would pay going all white 22759/16/....
-Electrical System Planning / Schematic Done.
-Wing Kit Delivered 09/13/12.
-Wings 95% Done Flaps & Electrical to go.
-Have got to order the fuse soon!!!!.

[/font]http://www.mykitlog.com/dschoning/
"This is a first-time event, and we're looking forward to it"... Chuck Yeager
Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Martin View Post
You can certainly choose your own preference as this is the Experimental Category. For most everything, I still refer to the original accepted aviation standard practice source. FAA AC43.13-1b

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%2043.13-1B/$FILE/Chapter%2011.pdf

Regards,

Ken
As Dale said, I'm not sure what you mean when it comes to color....it refers to MIL-C-27500 and also MIL-STD-681 for harnesses. Most of that is colored by wire size or conductor position in a harness it seems from a quick read.

The AC does talk plenty about the details of good wire marking....but could you explain more what your take on wire color from AC43.13-1b is? (I'm thinking you mean use white and label, along the lines of what I'm planning...but not sure.)
-Rick Greer, VAF #2492
N95VV [reserved]: RV-7 TW Tipper
Renting out of DWH & AXH
Old 02-26-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat22 View Post
The AC does talk plenty about the details of good wire marking....but could you explain more what your take on wire color from AC43.13-1b is? (I'm thinking you mean use white and label, along the lines of what I'm planning...but not sure.)
Yes, white with proper labeling is what I was referring to. Visually, it is not as easy for quick identification as color coding the wires but it is the standard in aviation.

The main reason I tend to lean this way is due to my education and background. For the same reason I also only refer to airspeed in knots. It's just habit from formal training and airline experience.

Ken
Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Lambert View Post
Most people just use the white Tefzel wire and label it.

Are you building or debugging?
A little of both.
I am installing a new radio that gets hooked to many of the other gizmos.

When I bought the plane, all wires were white and labeled with sharpie and covered with clear heat shrink. Well, sharpie is not permanent. The ink faded. Very hard to trouble shoot.

When I re-did the whole panel, the pre-made wire harness were color coded, and I just kept with how I interpreted the code.

But as I added more gizmos, the new harness that came with the gizmo did not follow the same code.

So, now they all need to be wired together. So it is a mess.

In my plane, Generally, green, blue, and white (and their striped variations) are signal wires. Of course, red is power and black is ground, with the occasional yellow being power. For some reason solid blue is a 4.8V power. I just followed the GRT color from the EIS harness.

Someone should standardize this experimental thing. (Joking)
Houston
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 PM

Default Wire Color Code

FWIW: This is my color code:

WHITE = Large current cable (EXAMPLE: Battery/Starter/Alternator 8AWG or higher)
RED = +12v
BLACK = Ground
YELLOW = Switched +12v signal. These are wires that may or may not have +12v on them. Normally from/to a switch or a contact. (EXAMPLE: Avionics Master relay control, Starter Switch control)
GREEN = Switched Ground These are wires that may or may not have a ground on them. Normally from/to a switch, sensor or contact. (EXAMPLE: Master Relay control, CO2 detector alarm)

Even with this basic color code, I still labeled all the wires. I used a standard label machine. Once printed I trimmed the label, placed it on the wire then used clear heat shrink to keep it on. It worked very well.

Last edited by GalinHdz : 05-22-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Default slight thread drift, but not too much ...

Poor Man's Labeling Tip:
If you don't have one o' them fancy wire-labeler gizzies, a great substitute is to write the letters - in extra fine Sharpie - on a piece of small white heat shrink before you apply heat to it. With halfway neat printing, they're very legible and serviceable when you shrink them down.
I tried the tiny computer-printed labels inside clear heat shrink and gave that up after about 15 minutes. W-a-y too much time and trouble.
(Dues paid thru Nov '17)
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupester View Post
I tried the tiny computer-printed labels inside clear heat shrink and gave that up after about 15 minutes. W-a-y too much time and trouble.
Hmm. OK, I guess it depends on the individual. I did the wire labels inside the clear shrink and didn't give it a second thought (other than having to buy more 1/8" clear shrink from Stein....TWICE ).

In regards to color schemes, do what you like. I chose:

Yellow: Battery (always hot)
Red: Switched 12V
Black: Ground
White: Signal

This stayed true except for a couple of instances such as the starter and alternator cables which are kinda hard to find in anything other than white.
And the GRT EIS harness that comes from GRT with a zillion colors and stripes for identification.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 05-22-2016, 05:42 AM

One more question on this old thread:
There's no such thing as colored shielded cables, is there? I see that unshielded wire has a lot of colors to pick from, but shielded seems to always have a white jacket (and a fixed set of colors for the wires inside).

Thanks
RV-10 builder #41623
Build log at http://www.airplane.build/
VAF dues paid
Old 05-22-2016, 11:52 AM

Thumbs up Shrink tubing

Often you don't need to color code the entire wire, you just need to know each end of a single wire in a long bundle.

Short pieces of colored shrink tubing work well for end identifications, and they will also work on the non-colored shielded wire mentioned in the previous post.

The shrink tubing can be used in multiple pieces for a large number of unique combinations.

This idea of mine was picked up by Kitplanes -

RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 05-22-2016, 10:32 PM

No matter what scheme you use, I would highly recommend adding to your schematics (you are doing schematics, right? ) the color codes on the wires (except for perhaps obvious ones like power or ground, but even then, there's no harm in adding the colors...WHT, BLK for power and ground, etc.).

It's much, much easier to just look at a schematic and say...aha, I need to depin the GRY/ORG wire in this connector at pin X, and replace it with GRY/PUR...and so on.